Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
If you're having print quality issues Click here for more tips!
Check some of the most frequent questions about Instant Ink: HP INSTANT INK, HP+ PLANS: INK AND TONER.

Check out our Black or Color Ink Not Printing, Other Print Quality Issues info about: Print quality and Cartridge Issues.
HP Recommended
IHP Offfice Jet Pro 6970
Microsoft Windows 7 (32-bit)

Cartridge Problem: My new 920 CMY Cartridges are being rejected. They are the same size ad the old ones but now have a colored band around 2 sides including the tab. 

Error Message: Remove and Reinstall.  I did that 3 times

I used the HP Print and Scan Doctor, It suggested I clean the electric contacts on Cartridge and also inside on Printer head which I did.

I have unplugged, turned off.  I have replaced these cartridges many times.  

I returned them and got a new box, put them in and again repeated all still getting the same error message. 

The only way I can print now is to remove 3 new and replace with 3 old so I can print in Black. Help!

3 REPLIES 3
HP Recommended

@EFYeager, Welcome to the HP Support Community!

I understand the Ink cartridges are not working. I appreciate your efforts in trying to resolve this issue by performing the necessary troubleshooting steps. Check if you are using HP ink cartridges.

Make sure you have tried the steps mentioned in this document - HP Printer Does not Print and Error Indicates Faulty Ink Cartridge

If the error persists, this could be an issue with the printhead as you have replaced the ink cartridges and have the same issue.

Please reach out to the HP Technical Support team in your region regarding the service options for your printer. 

You may create a case on the website to obtain a case number if required. Kindly watch this video to know how.

Keep me posted for any other assistance.

Please click “Accept as Solution” if you feel my post solved your issue, it will help others find the solution.

Click the “Kudos, Thumbs Up" on the bottom right to say “Thanks” for helping!

Have a great day! 

KUMAR0307
I am an HP Employee

HP Recommended

I hopefully have found out what was wrong. I ordered the wrong ink, 920 rather than 902 for my printer. Why HP had to give 2 different inks,  the same 3 numbers in a different order must have been stroke of genius to make us pay for our mistakes. (I ordered on line early but cannot return because I waited too long, so much for being prepared. )   

I have the correct ink on order and will of course never make this mistake again.  

EFYeager

HP Recommended

@EFYeager

Yes, you will have to use compatible ink cartridges. Glad to know the issue is now resolved. Feel free to contact us with any concerns related to HP products.

Happy to help!

KUMAR0307
I am an HP Employee

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.