Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
If you're having print quality issues Click here for more tips!
Check some of the most frequent questions about Instant Ink: HP INSTANT INK, HP+ PLANS: INK AND TONER.

Check out our Black or Color Ink Not Printing, Other Print Quality Issues info about: Print quality and Cartridge Issues.
HP Recommended
HP OfficeJet Pro 9019
Microsoft Windows 11

It seems that every time I want to print something in color, I have to clean the printheads first. Most of the time, I only have to conduct one stage.

• I use HP Instant Ink
  • There are new cartridges installed
  • This time, I tried to print on a 4x6 card.  I printed one out, then had to clean the printheads once.  After that, I tried printing my card on a plain piece of paper.  Once that came out okay, I then printed out another card, which came out fine.

This is not the first time I've had to do this.  Has anyone figured out what's happening?  Do I need to install new cartridges?

3 REPLIES 3
HP Recommended

@KarenVierra, Welcome to the HP Support Community! I’m here to help.

As the issue is related to Instant ink cartridges, I need more information to help you out.

Since the instant ink account details are confidential, please send me the required information via private message.

I am sending you a private message with the information required.

Hope this helps! Let me know how it goes. 

Please click “Accept as Solution” if you feel my post solved your issue, it will help others find the solution.

Click on the YES button to reply that the response was helpful and/or to say “Thank You”.

Have a great day! 

KUMAR0307
I am an HP Employee

HP Recommended

@KUMAR0307

I received and installed the replacement ink cartridges.  I also changed the default print quality from "normal" to "best".  The problem still has not been solved - I'm still having to clean the cartridges before I can get it to print color.  During my last, I had to clean more than once.  

Does someone have a solution for this?  At this point, I'm really frustrated, and am considering returning this printer (which is Printer #3!), and requesting a full refund.

HP Recommended

@KarenVierra

This means that the issue is with the printer. Please reach out to the HP Technical Support team in your region regarding the service/replacement options for your printer. 

You may create a case on the website to obtain a case number if required. Kindly watch this video to know how.

If the printer is out of warranty, I suggest you upgrade the printer. You may visit Hp Store to check the available printers.

Keep me posted for any other assistance.

KUMAR0307
I am an HP Employee

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.