Create an account on the HP Community to personalize your profile and ask a question
06-05-2023 06:18 AM
I have purchased a genuine hp cartridge from Amazon as I always do , 301 black, but on installation I get the message “Incompatible cartridge. The indicated cartridge is not intended for use in this printer”
It is identical in every way to the one I have removed . I cannot see anything different so absolutely no reason for it not to work.Any suggestions ?
06-07-2023 06:04 PM
Welcome to HP Support Community.
Thank you for posting your query, I will be glad to help you.
If you have installed a correct 301 cartridge in your HP printer but it is displaying an "incompatible" error message, there are a few possible reasons for this issue.
- Compatibility Issue: Although you believe you have installed the correct cartridge, it's possible that there could be a compatibility problem. Verify that you have purchased the exact cartridge model recommended for your specific printer model. Even slight variations in cartridge numbers or regional differences can cause compatibility issues.
- Cartridge Installation: Ensure that the cartridge is properly installed in the printer. Remove the cartridge and reinsert it carefully, making sure it is securely placed and properly aligned. Refer to your printer's user manual or HP's website for detailed instructions on cartridge installation.
- Cartridge Authentication Chip: HP printers often use authentication chips on their cartridges to verify their authenticity and compatibility. If you have purchased a third-party or refilled cartridge, the authentication chip might not be recognized by the printer, resulting in an "incompatible" error. In such cases, consider using genuine HP cartridges to avoid compatibility issues.
- Firmware Update: Sometimes, a firmware update on the printer can cause compatibility problems with certain cartridges. Check if there are any available firmware updates for your HP printer and install them. Updating the printer's firmware can resolve compatibility issues in some cases.
- Dirty Contacts: The contacts on both the cartridge and the printer that establish a connection may have accumulated dust or debris. Try cleaning the contacts gently using a lint-free cloth or cotton swab lightly moistened with water. Make sure to let them dry completely before reinserting the cartridge.
I hope this helps.
Take care and have a good day.
Please click “Accepted Solution” if you feel my post solved your issue, it will help others find the solution. Click the “Kudos/Thumbs Up" on the bottom right to say “Thanks” for helping!
Didn't find what you were looking for? Ask the community