Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
If you're having print quality issues Click here for more tips!
Check some of the most frequent questions about Instant Ink: HP INSTANT INK, HP+ PLANS: INK AND TONER.

Check out our Black or Color Ink Not Printing, Other Print Quality Issues info about: Print quality and Cartridge Issues.
HP Recommended
OfficeJetPro 6975
Microsoft Windows 10 (32-bit)

Defective cartridge - Cyan- Printing is unavailable because the indicated cartridges are defective. I have switched out cyan cartridges 4 times with new HP 902 cyan. The prongs insides are all straight, nothing bent, everything looks clean inside where the cartridge is inserted. Read it was a firmware issue. Took printer back to factory settings and reset up everything. Are others having this same issue? Is there an update to counteract the firmware issue or is something else going on. Having changed out 4 cartridges, is it an update issue or the printer? 

5 REPLIES 5
HP Recommended

@pkcox 

Printer is OK - there is a different problem.

Here is what we have to offer on the subject:

HP OfficeJet Printers - 'Incompatible' or 'Defective Cartridge' message

This document applies only to these HP Officejet and Officejet Pro printers that use HP 910, 912, 914, 915, 902-905, or HP 935 ink cartridges:

• HP Officejet 6810, 6820, 6950, 6960, and 8010 printer series
  • HP OfficeJet Pro 6230, 6830, 6960, 6970, 8020, and 8030 printer series

Thank you for participating in the HP Community.

Reminder:  The Community is not a business group of HP

Our Community is comprised of volunteers - people who own and use HP devices.

Click Thumbs Up to say Thank You.

Question Resolved / Answered, Click "Accept as Solution" .

Dragon-Fur

HP Recommended

Glad to hear it is not the printer. Not eligible for replacement cartridges - out of warranty. Do I keep buying cartridges until one works? So is it truly a defective issue?

HP Recommended

@pkcox 

Yes - "something" happened though I've not read any details on the subject.

No replacement?  🐀

Interesting - I would think the coverage is available for the affected models.

Meh.

Were it me, I'd not try another cartridge right away.

I'll ask - IF I hear anything that is useful, I'll post back.

Thank you for participating in the HP Community.

Reminder:  The Community is not a business group of HP

Our Community is comprised of volunteers - people who own and use HP devices.

Click Thumbs Up to say Thank You.

Question Resolved / Answered, Click "Accept as Solution" .

Dragon-Fur

HP Recommended

Thanks so much! I appreciate all your help!

HP Recommended

I am having the same problem.  Bought a package of all colors and inserted brand-new.  The printer won't print due to the defective Cyan cartridge.  Printer ink 902.  I don't want to keep buying new cartridges though.

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.