Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
The HP Community is where owners of HP products, like you, volunteer to help each other find solutions.
Archived This topic has been archived. Information and links in this thread may no longer be available or relevant. If you have a question create a new topic by clicking here and select the appropriate board.
HP Recommended

To everyone here who is experiencing the same problem,

Because I needed to use my printer, I was forced to go to the store (a 30 min drive each way) to buy a genuine HP cartridge. Popped it in and after initializing, the printer is fine once again. Put back the third-party toner and it's blocked immediately. Reinstall the genuine HP one... fine once more.

This is an obvious move by HP to block third-party cartridges being used... even though their website specifies that it does not void your warranty.

THIS IS THE LAST HP PRINTER I WILL EVER OWN.

HP Recommended

might want to look into the ecotank/smart tank printers where you pour the liquid into the printer. they are more expensive up front but way less on ink.

HP Recommended

I purchased my Color Laser Jet Pro MFP M281cdw printer in January 2020.  I installed a third-party black cartridge in December 2020 (after changing some settings) and then the color cartridges in May 2021 (I put date on the cartridge whenever I replace it) and everything work well until today when a message popped up on the screen that said "cartridges blocked for containing non-HP chip".  I could not find any recommendation online how to fix it.  Reading the posts on this HP Community I realized that I am not the only one having this bad experience.

If I have to buy HP cartridges I might as well buy a new printer and it will not be HP.  I hope I will find solution to my problem in the next few days otherwise I will be done with HP.

HP Recommended

I had the same problem.  There is a solution under questions at, https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B07RSZNB8W/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_search_asin_title?ie=UTF8&psc=1.

I tried it and IT WORKED.

Hope this helps.

HP Color LaserJet Pro MFP Firmware Downgrade
HP Recommended

Looks so easy and yet my printer will not allow me to load the firmware before November. Crazy, huh?

HP Recommended

Color LaserJet Pro MFP M281fdw

I updated the firmware to resolve a printing issue and now I get the "cartridges blocked for containing non HP chip." What gives? How to resolve?

HP Recommended

I did those steps when the original hp toner run out about a year ago and the generic replacement toner disabled my printer. I have been using generic toner the past year without any problem until yesterday when my printer pop-up a message "blocked for non-HP chip" and it disabled my printer.

HP Recommended

The last 2 steps described in https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B07RSZNB8W/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_search_asin_title?ie=UTF8&psc=1 are:

Reset the upgrade settings of the printer Please change the following settings in the "Manage Updates" menu after updating the printer firmware.
1): Touch “Check Automatically” button and select “Off”.
2):Touch “Allow Updates” and select “No”. see less

The good news is that this should remove the possibility of HP locking you out.  The bad news is that it blocks future updates which might be actually necessary.

HP Recommended

See if my next response gets blocked - I have an answer

HP Recommended

The tip is to use usb instead of wifi to downgrade the firmware:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BSfI8j7JmRQ&ab_channel=CyberCPUTech
Search for "HP Supply Problem after Update" and "HP being Shifty"
I can't put a link in cos that would be blocked. but here's my working printer after using it
(thanks hubby! for keeping on looking after I'd given up in despair)

20211204_144423.jpg

Archived This topic has been archived. Information and links in this thread may no longer be available or relevant. If you have a question create a new topic by clicking here and select the appropriate board.
† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.