cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Common problems for INSTANT INK, HP+ PLANS: INK AND TONER
We would like to share some of the most frequently asked questions about Instant Ink. Check out this link: HP INSTANT INK, HP+ PLANS: INK AND TONER. .
BrianSL1
1 0 0 0
Message 1 of 2
Flag Post

Envy 5600 only prints grey, not black

HP Recommended
Envy 5660
macOS 10.15 Catalina

I have an Envy 5660 (in regular use since late 2016) that suddenly started printing only grey instead of black (colors are also slightly washed out but generally OK).  One day it was fine, but the next print job 48 hours later showed the problem -- and the problem occurs with ALL types of printing (text, photos, graphics, single- and double-sided, etc.) and occurs no matter application I am printing form.

I am using a new 16" MacBook Pro running macOS Catalina 10.15.7 (also tried printing from my old iPhone 6S with the same problems) -- I made NO changes to any of the laptop's software before the problem started, and all printer diagnostics come back as OK when I run the HP Smart app (which also says the printer's firmware is up to date).  The printer is enrolled in the HP Instant Ink program and I have used only those ink cartridges almost since the day I installed the printer.

I have done a standard head cleaning several times, and did the full level 1-2-3 head cleaning twice but the problem persists (and each subsequent page looks a little worse).  All diagnostics come back OK and the printer is telling me the black cartridge is about 25% full -- but this looks more and more like a cartridge problem and I cannot find any way to tell HP they need to send new cartridges NOW, not when the printer thinks the cartridge is dry.  Any advice, email addresses, etc. out there that anyone can share?

1 REPLY 1
KrazyToad
HP Support Agent
HP Support Agent
21,525 21,512 1,302 1,324
Message 2 of 2
Flag Post
HP Recommended

@BrianSL1

Welcome to HP Support Community

I would like to help

I have sent you a private message. Please check your Inbox

Thank you

If the information I've provided was helpful, give us some reinforcement by clicking the "Solution Accepted" on this Post and it will also help other community members with similar issue.

KrazyToad
I Am An HP Employee

0 Kudos
Warning Be alert for scammers posting fake support phone numbers and/or email addresses on the community. If you think you have received a fake HP Support message, please report it to us by clicking on "Flag Post".
† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the Terms of Use and Rules of Participation