Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
If you're having print quality issues Click here for more tips!
Check some of the most frequent questions about Instant Ink: HP INSTANT INK, HP+ PLANS: INK AND TONER.

Check out our Black or Color Ink Not Printing, Other Print Quality Issues info about: Print quality and Cartridge Issues.
HP Recommended
Color LaserJet Pro M254dw
Microsoft Windows 10 (64-bit)

Color LaserJet Pro M254dw

Error message: 

The indicated supplies are not communicating correctly with the printer.

Try reinstalling the supplies. If the problem persists, replace the supplies to continue printing.

Note: using non-hp printer cartridges. I did reinstall the supplies. Problem persists.

9 REPLIES 9
HP Recommended

This started after the printer recommended installing an update. No problems prior to that.

HP Recommended

"This started after the printer recommended installing an update. No problems prior to that."

Not in my case. 

I talked to my cartridge supplier and explained the problem. They'll send me replacement cartridges. That might solve the problem.

HP Recommended

I have the same issue as many have stated.  I have a M254dw that was working fine until it updated itself to the recent 10/21/2020 firmware. Now it will no longer work with any aftermarket toners. Tried all the options to turn off the cartridge protection, no luck.  I have ordered several new ones from Amazon, but no luck.  I would like to down grade my firmware, but am not able to find it online.  If anyone has a copy please let me know.  

ALSO, it would appear that this is either a mistake by HP, OR it may be time for another class action lawsuit.  HP just go sued for this type of shenanigans last year. If they don't fix this, then we should contact the law firm and start a class.  

https://www.classlawgroup.com/hp-ink-cartridge-lawsuit/ 

HP Recommended

I have the same issue as many of you have noted, my M254dw suddenly has a "Supply Problem" with my aftermarket black toner after updating to the 10/21/2020 firmware. Everything has been just fine with this printer for 2 years now. I have HP original color cartridges that are not affected by this. I ordered several aftermarket cartridges from Amazon, and SURPRISE, none of them work. If anyone has a previous firmware for this printer, HP has removed all the other prior firmware for all of its sites, including international support sites.

HP Recommended

So the solution is to buy HP proprietary printer cartridges?

HP Recommended

The same issue - this is BS,  I had aftermarket working no problem then this happened, spent more money on new cartilages but I need to print - unbelievable.  Does anyone know if they will fix this or plan on a class action?  this is a garbage way to treat customers HP - shame.....shame.....shame

HP Recommended

I have the same problem. OK, class action law suit etc., but I am in Germany/Europe, and an US case will not be in scope here, and HP has to be sued here. Same with German diesel cars, where they used unwanted software to cheat the customer. But simple question: how do I print today while waiting for the outcome, I need to print today? And btw: the original HP supplies here are more expensive than the printer itself. I had other issues with that printer. I bought because of very god experience with HP during my IT career in the past, but now with this experience and after I have seen that others have not that issues with Brother and Epson I will not buy HP anymore.

HP Recommended

No. See post dated:  ‎12-20-2020 01:10 PM

It worked for me.

HP Recommended

First, make sure you go into your HPCLJP M254dw Setup and change the following:

Setup > Service > LaserJet Update > Manage Updates:

Check Automatically = NO

Prompt Before Install = YES

Allow Updates = YES (change after downgrade to NO)

Allow Downgrade = YES

You can then download the 20200612 firmware from HP's FTP site...

http://ftp.hp.com/pub/networking/software/pfirmware/HP_Color_LaserJet_Pro_M254_dw_Printer_series_202... 

Then, from Terminal session, you can issue the following command to list your connected printers...

$ lpstat -p -d
printer HP_Color_LaserJet_M254dw_0 is idle.  enabled since Fri Nov  6 17:47:06 2020
system default destination: HP_Color_LaserJet_M254dw_0

Ensuring your printer is idle, then execute the following command in Terminal session to downgrade your firmware... making sure you reference your specific printer name (in last command output) correctly...

$ lpr -P HP_Color_LaserJet_M254dw_0 /Users/<username>/Downloads/HP_Color_LaserJet_Pro_M254_dw_Printer_series_20200612.rfu

You should see, after brief delay as print job (firmware) is downloaded to the printer, a black screen on the printer's LCD that shows "HP" and "Energy Star" and update status bar...  

Wait until the printer downgrades and shuts down/reboots... should take about 2-3 minutes...  

You can check firmware code in the Service menu... to ensure the firmware downgrade was successful.

If not, simply try again.

I hope that helps! 

UPDATE:  
HP Support has since removed the file from their FTP servers (took less than 8 hours)... hence link is now broken.

Clearly, HP does not want to support customers in downgrading the firmware on their printer.

I would suggest searching internet for the RFU filename to locate a download site... 

"HP_Color_LaserJet_Pro_M254_dw_Printer_series_20200612.rfu"

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.