Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
If you're having print quality issues Click here for more tips!
Check some of the most frequent questions about Instant Ink: HP INSTANT INK, HP+ PLANS: INK AND TONER.

Check out our Black or Color Ink Not Printing, Other Print Quality Issues info about: Print quality and Cartridge Issues.
HP Recommended
HP Ink Tank Wireless 415
Unknown

[DETAILS]
I tried to print a document (all black), and the entire page is faded. I proceeded to check customer support pages and stopped at Step 6, printing a Quality Diagnostic page. I printed the same document four times (the last two being the results after using the Clean Cartridges feature) and they all have the same outcome; all colors are present except for black. 

Before that, I also checked the ink cartridges several times, and the ink levels are more or less just a cm away from the Maximum fill line.

[MAIN PROBLEM/QUESTION]
When I checked the Estimated Cartridges tab, it shows that all tanks are completely empty; yet neither has a caution symbol. Reminder; every other color prints except for black, and when I checked the cartridges, they're way too far from the minimum fill line. Does this mean the ink has dried up, or does this mean something else? Thank you in advance!
Screenshot (898).png

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
HP Recommended

On your printer model, only visual inspection of ink tanks is a way to know ink level. The estimated ink lever on your computer will always be blank because the printer doesn't monitor the ink level. 

Regarding print quality, if your printer hasn't been used for a while liquids ink gets dry inside printhead, running a few cleaning cycles a few times might get your black to start printing again.

My profile on LinkedIn

View solution in original post

3 REPLIES 3
HP Recommended

On your printer model, only visual inspection of ink tanks is a way to know ink level. The estimated ink lever on your computer will always be blank because the printer doesn't monitor the ink level. 

Regarding print quality, if your printer hasn't been used for a while liquids ink gets dry inside printhead, running a few cleaning cycles a few times might get your black to start printing again.

My profile on LinkedIn

HP Recommended

I just followed your advice, and after more or less twenty cleaning cycles, the black ink returned and the colored ones look better. Thanks for the comment!

HP Recommended

Same problem  on this same model. Left printer for 2 months and now will not print in black at all, colors do print.

I've tried cleaning over 20 times - but still no black ink (tank is full).  What should I try next?

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.