Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
If you're having print quality issues Click here for more tips!
Check some of the most frequent questions about Instant Ink: HP INSTANT INK, HP+ PLANS: INK AND TONER.

Check out our Black or Color Ink Not Printing, Other Print Quality Issues info about: Print quality and Cartridge Issues.
HP Recommended
HP Officejet Pro 8600 (Network)
Microsoft Windows 7 (64-bit)

I don't know how to fix this, or how, since I have the printer set for black and white printing only, this has happened. I have extra black ink cartridges but none for color as I have no way to afford using and replacing them. Why won't it let me print?

7 REPLIES 7
HP Recommended

@T_H_M, Welcome to the HP Support Community!

I understand your concern. However, this printer requires all 4 ink cartridges to be installed and have a minimum amount of ink left for you to print in black or color. If any one of the ink cartridges is in an error state or low/empty, you will not able to print. This is as per the design.

Perform the steps mentioned in this document - HP Printer Does not Print and Error Indicates Faulty Ink Cartridge

If any of the ink cartridges is empty, kindly replace them with an HP ink cartridge to resume printing. You may visit Hp Store to buy the compatible ink cartridges.

I hope that answers your concern adequately. Let me know! 

Please click “Accept as Solution” if you feel my post solved your issue, it will help others find the solution.

Click the “Kudos, Thumbs Up" on the bottom right to say “Thanks” for helping!

Have a great day! 

KUMAR0307
I am an HP Employee

HP Recommended

Kumar, thanks for your reply, but the news is devastating for me. I have absolutely not printed in anything other than black & white, so I don't understand why this cartridge is "empty" and frankly, my head is spinning.

The link you provide does not take me to that article.

Can I just buy the yellow cartridge? Is it possible to buy refill ink?

Thank you.

HP Recommended

@T_H_M

I rechecked the link and it takes us to the right document. Could you please try in a different browser?

This printer is designed in such a way that it uses all 4 colors to produce a perfect output even if you are printing only in black. It balances ink usage.

HP does not recommend using refilled/non-HP ink cartridges. It may damage the printing mechanism/print quality. However, HP does not stop you from doing it. You may use it at your own discretion.

For more info on resolving print quality issues, you may refer to - Color, Black Ink Not Printing, Other Print Quality Issues

Keep me posted for any other assistance.

KUMAR0307
I am an HP Employee

HP Recommended

So my only real option is to buy a new printer. Can you recommend one which will not behave as this one has? I have always had such a trust in HP products, but this is truly a shamefully bad design. I'm stunned.

HP Recommended

@T_H_M

If you want a printer using which you can only print with one ink cartridge, you may look for HP printers that use 2 ink cartridges-One Black and one Tri-color. 

For ex: HP Envy Photo printers, HP Deskjet printers.

You may visit Hp Store to check the available printers and call the number available on this page to talk to an HP sales representative for further assistance.

KUMAR0307
I am an HP Employee

HP Recommended

It is difficult for me to mark the problem with the printer as solved.  By design, one has to continue to buy color cartridges, despite having set up the printer to print in black & white only. This may result in the printer working again, but it is a horrible design flaw and an endlessly costly requirement. There is no way that the problem can truly be fixed.

I do sincerely appreciate that you took the time to help but I'm completely disappointed and angry with HP for his badly designed printer.

Thanks again.

HP Recommended

@T_H_M

I understand your concern. However, there are no other options available. I will forward your feedback to the engineering team in HP.

KUMAR0307
I am an HP Employee

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.