Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
If you're having print quality issues Click here for more tips!
Check some of the most frequent questions about Instant Ink: HP INSTANT INK, HP+ PLANS: INK AND TONER.

Check out our Black or Color Ink Not Printing, Other Print Quality Issues info about: Print quality and Cartridge Issues.
HP Recommended
HP photosmart 5514
iOS

I have the same problem as the other posts I have read. I have spent alot of money trying new cartidges and followed all of the recommended trouble shooting tests and still no black printing.  From all of the other posts, this appears to be a fundamental problem with this printer and HP should own the issue.   Please let me know if there is any fix or if I need to purchase a new printer and lose the $70 plus I’ve spent on ink.  My printer is out of warranty and I live in Auburn, KY

4 REPLIES 4
HP Recommended

Well just called customer support like I was asked to and they wanted to charge me $70 to help with this problem. Total ripoff. $70 plus for ink and $70 for support is way more than the price of a new printer. Not happy at all

HP Recommended

Hi @RedE2play,

I'd like to help!

To better assist you - 

1) Are you able to make copies in black?

2) What's the application you are trying to print from? Have you tried printing from a different application or devices? 

While you respond to that, let's print a Print Quality Diagnostic page -

1. Load plain white U.S. letter or A4 size paper in the tray.

2. From the control panel home screen, touch the Right Arrow (), and then touch the Setup icon ().

3. Touch Tools, and then touch Print Quality Report. A Print Quality Diagnostic Report prints.

Post the Print Quality Diagnostic page here so we can help you further. 

You may also refer to this document with steps to fix the "Print Quality Issues" issue applicable for your printer - Black Ink Not Printing and Other Print Quality Issues

Also, try updating the printer's firmware - HP Printers - Updating or Upgrading Printer Firmware 

Hope this helps! Keep me posted. 

And, Welcome to the HP Support Community

Please click “Accept as Solution” if you feel my post solved your issue, it will help others find the solution.

Click the “Kudos, Thumbs Up" on the bottom right to say “Thanks” for helping

HP Recommended

I cannot print anything in black. All colors print just fine. I’ve tried every option on printer to clean and print test pages with no luck. I cleaned the printer head like a video in previous posts I’ve seen. Print head is perfectly clean. I’ve tried two new cartridges with no luck. I have tried a firmware update because I don’t have a computer. I wireless print from my phone and also use hp smartprint app. It worked fine until I ran out of ink and didn’t replace for a while. I’ve spent over $70 replacing ink and now it is wasted money without printing black

HP Recommended

As this is a hardware(printhead) issue, I'd suggest you contact HP in your region regarding the service options for your computer.

Follow the instructions below to reach them:

1) Click on this link - https://support.hp.com/us-en/contact-hp

2) Select your product type below.

3) Enter the serial of your device. 

4) Select the country from the drop-down. 

5) Select the chat or get phone number options based on your preferences. 

6)Fill the web-form and proceed further.

If you are having trouble navigating through the above options, it's most likely because the device is out of warranty. If yes? please send me a private message with the region you are contacting us from. Check next to your profile name, you should see a little blue envelope, please click on it.  

Have a great day! 

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.