Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
If you're having print quality issues Click here for more tips!
Check some of the most frequent questions about Instant Ink: HP INSTANT INK, HP+ PLANS: INK AND TONER.

Check out our Black or Color Ink Not Printing, Other Print Quality Issues info about: Print quality and Cartridge Issues.
HP Recommended
Officejet Pro 8610

My (wireless) printer was working perfectly fine with 3rd party ink cartridges until I accidentally clicked the Web Services icon. Since then, it it has been displaying the following error:  "One or more cartridges appear to be damaged.  Remove them and replace with new cartridges."

I've searched the internet and this support forum, which all seem to indicate that updating to the latest firmware, 1828A, would resolve the issue.  The printer itself claims to be up to date.  Just to be extra sure, I downloaded and ran the HP Firmware Updater app (on Mac) and it too says there are no firmware updates available.  HOWEVER, THE PROBLEM PERSISTS.

I know it is not an issue with the cartridges themselves, since they were working perfectly fine prior to whatever happened when I clicked Web Services.  Please let me know what else might resolve the issue.

Thank you.

9 REPLIES 9
HP Recommended

HP Community, I'm having the same problem (as above) with my HP Officejet Pro 8625. Everything worked great on this printer until the past month.  The printer software is also up-to-date.

1. The worst problem is the non-HP print cartridge error message which just started recently. I receive this error on my computer screen and the printer display. I believe this is causing the colors on the printed page to look awful (inc. black), they don't even match what is on my screen.  All of the print cartridges are at least half full or more.  HP: You should NOT force people to use your cartridges only!!  Doing this is considered a monopoly and should not occur.

2. I am having Network / Web Services issues. I don't have a problem with ANY other device in my house connecting to my network hardwired through a network cable or using Wi-Fi.  I don't know if there was an update that messed this up or not, but it is driving me nuts. No setting change that I make will help.

3. I am also having Scanner issues. The ADF will not scan documents. I have to put one sheet on the glass at a time, which is extremely time-consuming. In addition, when I do a scan, the file gets corrupted and unreadable.

I do NOT want to buy a new printer to rectify these issues especially because I feel that they are software-related. I need help with this immediately!

Thanks!

HP Recommended

@medalle, @SSWAG Welcome to the HP Support Community!

I understand your concern. However, if you are using non-HP ink cartridges, HP cannot guarantee its functionality. For more info on this issue, kindly refer to - Dynamic Security Enabled Printers

Hope this helps! Keep me posted. 

Please click “Accept as Solution” if you feel my post solved your issue, it will help others find the solution.

Click the “Kudos, Thumbs Up" on the bottom right to say “Thanks” for helping!

Have a great day! 

KUMAR0307
I am an HP Employee

HP Recommended

But according to this https://support.hp.com/us-en/product/hp-officejet-pro-8610-e-all-in-one-printer-series/5367603/docum... , there is a firmware update available for the HP 8610 that removes this dynamic security feature.

The actual issue that I need assistance with is figuring out the version number of this firmware update so that I can verify that it has been installed on my printer; and if has not been, locating the correct firmware update so that I can install it.  Hope this clarifies the issue.  Please advise.

HP Recommended

@medalle

Click here to download the firmware update available from the HP Support site. Ver 1828A.

Let me know how this goes.

KUMAR0307
I am an HP Employee

HP Recommended

That link is for Windows.  I use a Mac.  I was able to locate the Mac version of 1828A but when I run it, all it says is that no firmware update is available.

HP Recommended

@medalle

That means the printer has the updated firmware installed. You may print a printer status report to check same.

1. On the printer control panel home screen, swipe left, and then touch Setup.

2. Swipe up, touch Print Reports, and then touch Printer Status Report.

I have brought your issue to the attention of an appropriate team within HP.

They will likely request information from you in order to look up your case details or product serial number. Please look for a private message from an identified HP contact.

Additionally, keep in mind not to publicly post personal information (serial numbers and case details).

If you are unfamiliar with how the Community's private message capability works, you can learn about that here:

https://h30434.www3.hp.com/t5/First-Time-Here-Learn-How-to-Post-and-More/How-To-Send-A-Private-Messa...

Thank you for visiting the HP Support Community.

KUMAR0307
I am an HP Employee

HP Recommended

Despite the fact that the updater says there are no other updates to install, I am STILL getting the cartridge problem error and therefore cannot print anything.

I will keep an eye out for the private message.  Thank you.

HP Recommended

I've been checking regularly, but haven't received any other messages, private or otherwise.  Would you please verify that someone is going to get back to me regarding this issue?  Thank you

HP Recommended

Using non-HP ink cartridges is not the problem. The problem is HP's firmware!

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.