Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
If you're having print quality issues Click here for more tips!
Check some of the most frequent questions about Instant Ink: HP INSTANT INK, HP+ PLANS: INK AND TONER.

Check out our Black or Color Ink Not Printing, Other Print Quality Issues info about: Print quality and Cartridge Issues.
HP Recommended
HP Envy4500
Microsoft Windows 10 (32-bit)

Hey, for some reason my printer is refusing to print on my printable vinyl. It feeds fine, looks like it's printing as normal but comes out blank. However, it will print the image on paper/card etc.. Any reason for this? I'm about to throw my printer out of the window 😁

1 REPLY 1
HP Recommended

@Allyparker92 

====================================================================

Welcome to the HP Community.

Be Aware:

Do not respond to individuals who include phone numbers or email addresses in public posts.

Do not respond to individuals who ask you to provide private information in a public Post.

These people might be scammers trying to steal your information / money.

====================================================================

Poor old printer - I hope it served you well.

Recycling won't be easier on the printer but recycling will keep the printer out of your flower bed...

Product introduced in 2013

This printer does not support printing on vinyl.  (Many / Most printers do not do so, I think.)

(There is the chance that I do not understand how you are using the term "vinyl" - sometimes "English" and "American English" are two different animals..)

Given that you know your printer and what it should and can do,

The material might be outside of the supported weight class.

Not sure what that would be since there is no class for vinyl.  That said, I would think the heaviest "possible" would be 200 gsm (as is the limitation for card paper).

The printer might not like the print surface.  This comes back (in part) to the fact that the material is no supported and is also part of the general limitations.  For example, Plain paper, Card paper, and Envelopes cannot have a rough surface or shaggy edges.

Specifications:

Printer Specifications for HP ENVY 4500, DeskJet 3540 Printers

and...

Media TypesPaper (plain, inkjet, photo), envelopes, cards, HP premium media, iron-on transfers, borderless media
Media Weight Recommended (imperial)20 lb
Media Weight Recommended (metric)75 to 250 g/m²
Media Weights Supported, By Paper Path (Imperial)16 lb to 24 lb
Media Weights Supported, By Paper Path (metric)A4: 75 to 90 g/m²; HP envelopes: 75 to 90 g/m²; HP cards: up to 200 g/m²; HP 10 x 15 cm photo paper: up to 250 g/m²

What else?

If this is a new development, the printer might be unable to print on this more exotic material - machine parts (for example, printer rollers) to tend to suffer degradation over years of service.

The settings might not be set correctly - this is less likely, of course - you have likely pounded on the problem before asking here for help.

Printer  Home Page - References and Resources – Learn about your Printer  - Solve Problems

“Things that are your printer”

NOTE:  Content depends on device type and Operating System

Categories:  Alerts, Access to the Print and Scan Doctor (Windows), Warranty Check, HP Drivers / Software / Firmware Updates, How-to Videos, Bulletins/Notices, Lots of How-to Documents, Troubleshooting, Manuals > User Guides, Product Information (Specifications), more

When the website support page opens, Select (as available) a Category > Topic > Subtopic

HP ENVY 4500 e-All-in-One Printer series 

Thank you for participating in the HP Community.

The Community is a separate wing of the HP website - We are not an HP business group.

Our Community is comprised of volunteers - people who own and use HP devices.

Click Thumbs Up to say Thank You.

Question Resolved / Answered, Click "Accept as Solution"

Dragon-Fur

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.