Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
The HP Community is where owners of HP products, like you, volunteer to help each other find solutions.
Archived This topic has been archived. Information and links in this thread may no longer be available or relevant. If you have a question create a new topic by clicking here and select the appropriate board.
HP Recommended
Envy 4500
Microsoft Windows 10 (64-bit)

Hi, My black HP ink cartridge suddenly starting coming up with errors around Oct/Nov last year. It would either say the ink cartridge was incompatible or that it needed replacing. I knew it was a genuine HP cartridge that had previously been working and that the ink wasn't that low to have run out. However cleaning the contacts, checking the updates/ firmware etc didn't make a difference so I signed up to Instant Ink to get a new cartridge. I had the same issue with the black ink cartridge I ordered from there. But after installing this Instant Ink cartridge my printer also refused to print in single ink mode. I basically turned it off in November, sent the ink back to HP and vowed never to buy HP again. I turned the printer back on last week to scan some documents to my PC and low and behold it printed off a couple of documents I'd printed last November (in single ink mode). But when I tried to print documents from my PC they just stayed in the print queue. I Uninstalled all HP software and uninstalled the printer from my PC, did a 'reset to default' on my printer and then installed HP Smart. And the single print mode is now working! HP Smart offered to sign me up to Instant Ink again. So I did. But on installing the black ink cartridge I got the same message about it being incompatible. I've just tried replacing the colour ink (even though mine hadn't run out) to see if that made a difference. It's just changed the error message back to 'the following ink cartridge must be replaced'. Again, I've gone through the help pages. Made sure the printer is up-to-date and that HP Smart updates are up-to-date and cleaned the contacts on the cartridges and printer. Please tell me there's something else I can do to fix this?

Archived This topic has been archived. Information and links in this thread may no longer be available or relevant. If you have a question create a new topic by clicking here and select the appropriate board.
† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.