Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
If you're having print quality issues Click here for more tips!
Check some of the most frequent questions about Instant Ink: HP INSTANT INK, HP+ PLANS: INK AND TONER.

Check out our Black or Color Ink Not Printing, Other Print Quality Issues info about: Print quality and Cartridge Issues.
HP Recommended
HP 8710
macOS 10.15 Catalina

Same problem as reported elsewhere, but no apparent solution from the threads.  

First time print after a time period (likely the printer is in sleep mode), the first page printed is blurred.  Subsequent pages and subsequent printing in same session is ok.  This occurs from ALL apps.

Mac OS is 11.2 Big Sur.  This issue has been around since Catalina.

HP Smart is up to date.

Answers? Suggestions?

Thx

11 REPLIES 11
HP Recommended

@rustinailus, Welcome to HP Support Community!

What happens when you make photocopies?

Ensure that the printer is up to date with its firmware and Mac is up to date with its software. If you are unsure you may use the links below to update the printer firmware and Mac software:

Update printer firmware

Update software on Mac 

As a workaround try printing a blank page first and then continue with your regular printing.

Keep me posted for further assistance.

TEJ1602
I am an HP Employee

HP Recommended

The mac book pro is on auto update and is up to date.  The HP8710 is on auto update and up to date.

Photocopies work ok.  It is specifically first page print of a 'session' after the I have not accessed the printer of a period of time and presumably the printer has gone to sleep.  Subsequent printing in close time proximity does not exhibit this error.

This has something to do with:

• printing only,
  • the initiation of the print session (perhaps on printer wakeup) on the first page only.

HP Recommended

@rustinailus

Thanks for replying!

Try adding the printer using AirPrint drivers-

Remove and add the printer

Click the Apple menu, and then select System Preferences.

Depending on your operating system version, click Print & Fax, Print & Scan, or Printers & Scanners.

Click the name of your printer, click the Minus sign, and then delete the printer.

Select printer and click the minus sign

Click the Plus sign, and then click Add Printer or Scanner.

Click the Use or Print Using box, and then select AirPrint

Select AirPrint from the Use menu

Click Add to add the printer to the list.

Try to print.

Keep me posted for further assistance.

Please click “Accepted Solution” if you feel my post solved your issue, it will help others find the solution. Click the “Kudos/Thumbs Up" on the bottom right to say “Thanks” for helping!

TEJ1602
I am an HP Employee

HP Recommended

Have followed the above instructions; deleted the printer and reinstalled using the AirPrint option.  This did not solve the problem.

IMG_9827.jpeg

HP Recommended

@rustinailus

Assign manual IP to the printer-

The steps on how to set a manual IP address can be found here.

For the DNS servers please use 8.8.8.8 for the Manual Preferred DNS Server and 8.8.4.4 for the Alternate DNS server. These are Google’s public DNS servers

Manual IP needs to be set up outside DHCP range- Since the default DHCP address range is between 100 and 149, you'll want to avoid all of the addresses between 192.168.1.100 and 192.168.1.149 when you're assigning static IP addresses. That leaves the ranges from 2-99 and from 150-254 wide open, which is usually plenty for most home networks.

Try printing.

Hope this helps! Keep me posted. 

Please click “Accepted Solution” if you feel my post solved your issue, it will help others find the solution. Click the “Kudos/Thumbs Up" on the bottom right to say “Thanks” for helping!

TEJ1602
I am an HP Employee

HP Recommended

btw why would setting the IP address manually resolve this issue?

HP Recommended

@rustinailus

Creating a static IP will remove any connection-related issues by which the blurred printing can be avoided.

Hope this helps!

TEJ1602
I am an HP Employee

HP Recommended

OK will have yet another look at resolving this.  This did not originally happen so presumably is related to an OS or firmware upgrade?  Is this going to be fixed?

HP Recommended

@rustinailus

This is not because of firmware update, it is a connection issue as I understand.

Let me know if you need further assistance.

TEJ1602
I am an HP Employee

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.