cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
    Information
    Know the Benefits of your HP account

Connect with HP support faster, manage all your devices in one place, view warranty information and more– Click Here

Information
    Fix Windows 10 Update Issues

Resolve Windows 10 or update issues on HP computer or printer– Click Here

• post a message
    Information
    Know the Benefits of your HP account

Connect with HP support faster, manage all your devices in one place, view warranty information and more– Click Here

Information
    Fix Windows 10 Update Issues

Resolve Windows 10 or update issues on HP computer or printer– Click Here

• post a message
Note for common printer problems
Customers receiving the"will damage your computer" message along with others like "unable to access cups/tmp" or "'@%' cannot be opened" need to update their version of the macOS. Please check this article for more information: "HPxxxxx.framework" will damage your computer" message in macOS Catalina or Mojave .
Highlighted
4 2 0 0
Message 1 of 6
Flag Post

HP OfficeJet Pro 8720 "New, unused cartridges must be used for startup."

HP Recommended
HP OfficeJet Pro 8720

My HP OfficeJet Pro 8720 was working fine until recently. It started displaying the following message regarding the 3 colour cartridges when they were almost empty: "New, unused cartridges must be used for startup.". I purchased genuine cartridges from the HP Store as a replacement. After replacement, not only does the printer still display this message, but, now it concerns all four cartridges which are all genuine and are full of ink. Whatever I do, I cannot get passed this error message. The printer is stuck displaying this message every time it powers on.

5 REPLIES 5
Highlighted
HP Support Agent
HP Support Agent
11,863 11,849 656 489
Message 2 of 6
Flag Post
HP Recommended

@sayjul

Welcome to the HP Support Community.

Try a firmware update: https://support.hp.com/in-en/document/c02919168

Try the steps from here: https://support.hp.com/in-en/document/c05365403

Let me know if this helps.

If the information I've provided was helpful, give us some reinforcement by clicking the Accepted Solution and Kudos buttons, that'll help us and others see that we've got the answers!

Thanks!

Have a great day!

I am an HP Employee

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Author
4 2 0 0
Message 3 of 6
Flag Post
HP Recommended

I had already tried ALL of those things before I posted and I'm not buying new cartridges when they are still half full.  If that is HPs solution to this problem when I have not even done anything to the printer and it just stopped working then that is a SCAM! 

So do I need to do a HARD RESET or override something else to make this work? 

0 Kudos
Tags (1)
Highlighted
HP Support Agent
HP Support Agent
11,863 11,849 656 489
Message 4 of 6
Flag Post
HP Recommended

If you once again put in your old ink, do you still get the error message?

I am an HP Employee

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Author
4 2 0 0
Message 5 of 6
Flag Post
HP Recommended

Yep!  Still issues.  I just ordered some new cartridges.  So let me try.  If that is the issue then we have a problem as a printer should not cause an error with half ink still left

0 Kudos
Highlighted
HP Support Agent
HP Support Agent
11,863 11,849 656 489
Message 6 of 6
Flag Post
HP Recommended

Sure, let us know 🙂

I am an HP Employee

0 Kudos
Warning Be alert for scammers posting fake support phone numbers and/or email addresses on the community. If you think you have received a fake HP Support message, please report it to us by clicking on "Flag Post".
† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the Terms of Use and Rules of Participation