Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
If you're having print quality issues Click here for more tips!
Check some of the most frequent questions about Instant Ink: HP INSTANT INK, HP+ PLANS: INK AND TONER.

Check out our Black or Color Ink Not Printing, Other Print Quality Issues info about: Print quality and Cartridge Issues.
HP Recommended

I purchased two HP OfficejetPro 7740 printers for work and now it is almost impossible to find replacement ink for them that actually works. The HP web site says that 952 ink is the appropriate ink for this machine, but it isn't. It does not work in either of the printers I bought. The only ink that works is the 954, which is no longer available. Considering that these printers were purchased brand new only a few months ago, I'm wondering why this issue hasn't been addressed. There seems to be no fix for this and calling HP tech support every time I need to replace a cartridge seems excessively tedious. Is there not a firmware update to fix this or is it possible that HP could provide a replacement print head that would recognize the 952's as being compatible? 

1 REPLY 1
HP Recommended

@JJONES82 

I don't think a print head or firmware is going to fix the issue - the printer - region USA - uses HP 952 ink.

Nothing I can find disputes that requirement.

HP Store > Shop > Ink or Toner

That said, this printer uses 954 ink in Latin America.

Printer Specifications for HP OfficeJet Pro 7740 Wide Format All-in-One Printer (G5J38A)

Replacement cartridges
United States and Canada: HP 952 Black OfficeJet Ink Cartridge; HP 952 CMY OfficeJet Ink Cartridge; HP 952XL Black OfficeJet Ink Cartridge; HP 952XL CMY OfficeJet Ink Cartridge; HP 956XL Black
Europe, Middle East, and Africa: HP 953 Black, HP 953XL Black, HP 953 Cyan, HP 953XL Cyan, HP 953 Magenta, HP 953XL Magenta, HP 953 Yellow, HP 953XL Yellow; HP 957XL Black
Latin America: HP 954 Black, HP 954XL Black, HP 954 Cyan, HP 954XL Cyan, HP 954 Magenta, HP 954XL Magenta, HP 954 Yellow, HP 954XL Yellow; HP 958XL Black
Asia Pacific and Japan: HP 955 Black, HP 955XL Black, HP 955 Cyan, HP 955XL Cyan, HP 955 Magenta, HP 955XL Magenta, HP 955 Yellow, HP 955XL Yellow; HP 959XL Black

If you purchased the printers in the USA, from a US merchant, they should both be region-set for the USA.

Printer  Home Page - References and Resources – Learn about your Printer  - Solve Problems

“Things that are your printer”

NOTE:  Content depends on device type and Operating System

Categories:  Alerts, Access to the Print and Scan Doctor (Windows), Warranty Check, HP Drivers / Software / Firmware Updates, How-to Videos, Bulletins/Notices, Lots of How-to Documents, Troubleshooting, User Guides / Manuals, Product Information (Specifications), more

When the website support page opens, Select (as available) a Category > Topic > Subtopic

HP OfficeJet Pro 7740 Wide Format All-in-One Printer series 

Thank you for participating in the HP Community.

The Community is a separate wing of the HP website - We are not a business group of HP..

Our Community is comprised of volunteers - people who own and use HP devices.

Click Thumbs Up to say Thank You.

Question Resolved / Answered, Click "Accept as Solution" .

Dragon-Fur

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.