Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
If you're having print quality issues Click here for more tips!
Check some of the most frequent questions about Instant Ink: HP INSTANT INK, HP+ PLANS: INK AND TONER.

Check out our Black or Color Ink Not Printing, Other Print Quality Issues info about: Print quality and Cartridge Issues.
HP Recommended
HP Envy 7155
iOS

My printer acts like it’s out of ink after approximately 90 day and only 20 or thirty plan text printed pages. The ink levels show 3/4 full for black and about the same for color. Putting in new cartridges fixes it for another 90 days and then the process starts all over again.  This has been an ongoing issue since new and now it’s out of warranty.  Cleaning the cartridge sometimes helps but a few days after the cleaning it’s back to poor printing as if the cartridge is dried out again.  All cartridges are new HP.  Any ideas?

4 REPLIES 4
HP Recommended

@TJ692, Welcome to the HP Support Community!

If the issue persists with different sets of new HP ink cartridges, I'm afraid this could be a hardware issue with the printer. However, let us try these steps:

Update the printer firmware

Click here to download and install the latest printer firmware from your computer.

Click here to know different methods of updating printer firmware.

There are a few things to prevent excess ink usage: 

• The printer should always be plugged into a live outlet.  If you use an external switch such as an outlet switch then more ink will be used at each startup. 

• Do not run cleaning cycles from the computer's toolbox or the printer's front panel.  These are rarely needed (perhaps once for each half dozen cartridges) and will use ink. 

• Printing in Draft mode may have acceptable quality while providing about 2x the pages of Normal or Best modes.   

If the issue persists, as the printer is out of warranty, I suggest you upgrade the printer. You may visit Hp Store to check the available printers.

I hope that answers your concern adequately. Let me know! 

Please click “Accept as Solution” if you feel my post solved your issue, it will help others find the solution.

Click the “Kudos, Thumbs Up" on the bottom right to say “Thanks” for helping!

Have a great day! 

KUMAR0307
I am an HP Employee

HP Recommended

Thank you for the reply.  I have verified firmware is up to date. Printer is on a continuous power source. I have only used the clean cartridge feature when black printing has degraded. One time that helped, all other times no improvement. For my last cartridge test I replaced both cartridges on the same day and then recorded the number of prints made to see when cartridge issues begin.

As noted this is usually after about 20-30 pages of mostly low resolution printing like emails and basic forms over approximately 90 days.  I have verified the color cartridge is working by removing the black and printing a test.  So it seems black is acting if the cartridge is dried out while color is fine.  It is important to note the days of usage are the same for both cartridges but it’s the black that is not working.  This has been the problem since purchasing this printer.  I always thought it was the volume of printing until I tracked the pages printed.

Since this printer is virtually like new, can it be repaired?

HP Recommended

@TJ692

I agree, printing 20-30 pages with text only is way too less. 

If the issue persists, please reach out to the HP Technical Support team in your region regarding the service/replacement options.

You may create a case on the website to obtain a case number if required. Kindly watch this video to know how.

Keep me posted for any other assistance.

KUMAR0307
I am an HP Employee

HP Recommended

HP support sent me a new black #64 cartridge.  I installed it and, as I expected, the printer works fine just as it has done in the past.  The question is for how long? The color cartridge that was installed on 10/31/2020 continues to work just fine.  I suspect something is not working correctly with the black cartridge when it is in sleep mode, maybe the rubber cap over the print head is not properly aligned?  Time will tell.

Is there a way to ensure the print head is properly covered in sleep mode?

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.