Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
If you're having print quality issues Click here for more tips!
Check some of the most frequent questions about Instant Ink: HP INSTANT INK, HP+ PLANS: INK AND TONER.

Check out our Black or Color Ink Not Printing, Other Print Quality Issues info about: Print quality and Cartridge Issues.
HP Recommended
HP MFP M281
macOS 10.13 High Sierra

Since new firmware update printer does not recognise my OEM cartridges. I understand there is an option in setup to switch off the Cartridge Policy but I can't find it. Any ideas?

5 REPLIES 5
HP Recommended

@stevesinclair 

For a very few older inkjet printers, manufactured during a specific time frame, it was possible to disable Dynamic Security using a Firmware update for the particular printer.

Your printer is not part of that group.

Dynamic Security cannot be disabled on your printer series.

Every Firmware update, including the original firmware that came with the printer, enforces the policy.

Data sheet HP Color LaserJet Pro M280-M281 

Reference / Resources

HP Ink - Learn About Supplies

Calls / Provides link to:

HP Printers - Dynamic Security Enabled Printers

Dragon-Fur

HP Recommended

Thanks, but I have been using non HP cartridges previously without issue, but having just installed a firmware update they now no longer work. Is it possible to rollback to the earlier version? I will end up throwing away perfectly good cartridges otherwise.

HP Recommended

Please, I think HP should make a "no roll back"/"no more refill action is allowed" as an announcement to all the customs. Then we won't waste money on this kind of products or firmware hacking by auto update. Thanks.

However, in EU it's illegal that HP don't allow their customs repair thing by their ownselves.

HP Recommended

Big corp domination as usual

HP Recommended

@stevesinclair 

I recommend contact support and they will assist you in this regard.

Here is how you can get in touch with support.

1)Click on this link – www.hp.com/contacthp/

2)Select the product type.

3)Enter the serial number of your device or select let HP detect your product option.

4)Select the country from the drop-down.

5)You should see the HP phone support number or Chat option listed.

Thanks!

The_Fossette
I am an HP Employee

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.