Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
If you're having print quality issues Click here for more tips!
Check some of the most frequent questions about Instant Ink: HP INSTANT INK, HP+ PLANS: INK AND TONER.

Check out our Black or Color Ink Not Printing, Other Print Quality Issues info about: Print quality and Cartridge Issues.
HP Recommended
HP Photosmart 5520
Microsoft Windows 10 (64-bit)

I had a problem with missing print on a letter I needed to print our. Simple "tools" tried from the screen on the printer and they didn't help so I decided to put a new HP black cartridge in and now the printer will print nothing in black at all cyan, magenta, yellow all print OK. I've followed all the tips on the HP page following the Virtual Agent advice. The machine was bought in 2013 and had fairly good use as I was secretary for a club so not just personal use. Has anyone any ideas or must I just buy a new printer. The use by date for the new cartridge is 2022/05 so it is not out of date or warranty. 

1 REPLY 1
HP Recommended

@Bethany99, Welcome to the HP Support Community!

I understand the printer is not printing in black. Kindly perform the steps mentioned in this document - Black or Color Ink Not Printing, Other Print Quality Issues

Make sure the plastic tape if any, is removed from the new ink cartridge before placing it in the printer.

Clean the printhead twice and print a quality report to check the result.

If the issue persists, this could be an issue with the new black ink cartridge or the printer itself. Please reach out to the HP Technical Support team in your region regarding the service/replacement options.

You may create a case on the website to obtain a case number if required. Kindly watch this video to know how.

Keep me posted for any other assistance.

Please click “Accept as Solution” if you feel my post solved your issue, it will help others find the solution.

Click the “Kudos, Thumbs Up" on the bottom right to say “Thanks” for helping!

Have a great day! 

KUMAR0307
I am an HP Employee

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.