Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
If you're having print quality issues Click here for more tips!
Check some of the most frequent questions about Instant Ink: HP INSTANT INK, HP+ PLANS: INK AND TONER.

Check out our Black or Color Ink Not Printing, Other Print Quality Issues info about: Print quality and Cartridge Issues.
HP Recommended
Officejet Pro 7740 series
Microsoft Windows 10 (64-bit)

I have tried to insert a NEW original HP 952XL ink cartridge into my HP Officejet pro 7740 printer and it is giving me an error message that it is an older generation cartridge.  I paid dearly for this cartridge and am completely annoyed that I cannot use it.  I need to get directions to fix this or directions on obtaining a free replacement cartridge from HP.  I have looked at other threads similar and tried those suggestions such as unplugging and nothing works

6 REPLIES 6
HP Recommended

disregard my original question.  Found more posts and it looks as if the end date is Oct 2020 so is no longer compatible.  Which I think stinks to high heaven!!!

HP Recommended

Were you able to fix the problem?  I have the same issue.

HP Recommended

The only solution is to buy a new cartridge that does not have a warranty end date later than then when you put it into the printer.  For example, we put a cartridge in our printer that had a warranty end date of Oct 2020 it is now April 2021 so it will not work in the printer; supposedly it has expired.  That is why I think it stinks to high heaven when I think the ink was probably still good, it wasn't even a year old.  So the moral to this story is when buying original hp cartridges make sure you have a date as far out into the future as you can and don't stock up so that they can keep uping the prices on you.  At least that is how I feel about it.

HP Recommended

This does stink especially since the cartridge's I pulled out have a date that is two years old and it works still but is empty.  FYI, I have access to a second printer of the same model it I can still use the older dated cartridges with no issues.  I checked the Firmware of the other printer and it has an older firmware.  I am going to attempt to revert my printer to the older firmware to see if that will allow me to use the older ink cartridges as I have quite a few of them.

HP Recommended

Rolling back the Firmware update worked.

HP Recommended

Hmmm....may have to try that.  thanks

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.