Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
If you're having print quality issues Click here for more tips!
Check some of the most frequent questions about Instant Ink: HP INSTANT INK, HP+ PLANS: INK AND TONER.

Check out our Black or Color Ink Not Printing, Other Print Quality Issues info about: Print quality and Cartridge Issues.
HP Recommended
Color LaserJet MFP M281fdw
Microsoft Windows 10 (64-bit)

UPDATE POSTED BELOW!

My Color LaserJet MFP M281fdw, all the sudden yesterday Nov. 30th, printer popped up with this message and has become utterly useless.  Need fixed ASAP.

20211130_110906.jpg

Also should note, running newest firmware 20211109

If this helps, the HP Smart Utility is mentioning something about a lack of connection to the internet.  Is this an issue with validating cartridges through HP's Servers?  See image.  

Capture.PNG

Should also be noted my validation is turned off in settings.

Capture2.PNG

-----------------

UPDATE

Wanted to post a temporary solution here so people don't have to dig through this post... I would suggest contacting HP directly through phone to get them to change this ridiculous policy.  It is indeed intentional as shown in the firmware notes on their site and I can't believe this company would do this...

400.JPG

Follow the steps outlined in this reddit article

https://www.reddit.com/r/printers/comments/jpgpp3/hp_laserjet_pro_m280_m281_printer_series_20200612/...

If your printer is on your network (either with a physical cable or on WiFi, you should just have to run the exe, select your printer and click Send Firmware, then wait..  After the awakenchurch_0-1640633552396.png icon appeared I did go physically power cycle the printer, and a few minutes later it started the firmware downgrade on the printer itself.

49 REPLIES 49
HP Recommended

No Answers? I've seen people with the exact same problem get a message from HP support.  Still can't use our printer...

HP Recommended

I'm having the same issue that just started today!?!? This is unacceptable from HP, and I also have those selections set to "OFF". I tried the online steps to disconnecting printer and removing/reinstalling cartridges, but nothing, still giving the error and both my printers are unusable. 

HP Recommended

I am also very frustrated with this issue.

HP Recommended

I also have the exact same problem.

Happened to me just today (2021-12-03).

Looking at this forum, it seems to me everybody experiences this issue around the same time.

Apparently, it seems HP somehow remotely updated our printer firmware, and blocked us from using 3rd party Ink Cartridges, which was allowed before.

This is very intrusive, and frustrating to users.

(This is forcing us to consider changing a new printer, and NEVER using HP Printer again.)

HP Recommended

I ended up putting my old HP cartridges back into my printer and it works.  I haven't reverse my ink yet.  I think this is awful on HP part with ink and no warning.  I had some major printing to finish today, and the virtual assistant doesn't work to get your answers.

HP Recommended

My Color LaserJet MFP M281fdw, December 1st, printer popped up with this message "indicated cartridge blocked for containing a non-HP chip"  and has become utterly useless.  Need fixed ASAP.

I'm using 3rd party toner cartridges that I re-ordered multiple times over the last two years. These toner cartridges have worked fine until this recent firmware update. 

HP must get emergency firmware release done to remove the functionality that is causing our printers to be unusable. 

Terrible business practice that HP has "bricked" our printers and made them unusable for using 3rd party toner cartridges.   I'll be reaching out to tech journalists to make them aware of HP's bricking of our printers for using third party toner cartridges. 

HP Recommended

I have been working on this stupid issue for two days now but I'm happy to say I finally fixed it!! You need to downgrade the latest firmware update, search it on Reddit 

HP Recommended

Yes, actually one of the prior posts was exactly that with the download link as well for the earlier firmware version. You can see it on page one.

The firmware downgrade worked for me as well on 4 of my 281 printers, the other two have not been affected yet, but only bc they are not 281's, therefore I'm sure the next firmware update will ruin them as well, although one is an inkjet.

BTW, for those of you with wifi connections, if you use the link provided from the earlier reply on this post, you will need multiple attempts to downgrade the firmware. It may not even work at all. If that's the case, just connect via ethernet cable or directly via USB cable. If you do, remember you may need to re-add the printer as your computer will recognize it as a different printer device. After you're done you can delete the newly added printer and go back to using the wifi (remember to turn off the wifi in setup or settings when using a different type of connection before you connect the printer to avoid conflicts).

You may also get stuck on the "programming" status screen on the printer itself. If it still says "programming" with the flashing status bar for more than 20 or 30 mins, simply turn off the printer then disconnect the power cable for 10-15 mins.... All will be resolved.

Good luck and HP... I don't think I need to say more.... You're failed us miserably. 

HP Recommended

can you please let me know how to downgrade the firmware? 

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.