Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
If you're having print quality issues Click here for more tips!
Check some of the most frequent questions about Instant Ink: HP INSTANT INK, HP+ PLANS: INK AND TONER.

Check out our Black or Color Ink Not Printing, Other Print Quality Issues info about: Print quality and Cartridge Issues.
HP Recommended

I had this pop up today 12/8/21...and I printed earlier today!!!  I am a non techie here....how do I download to the printer the update needed, that was mentioned above. 

HP Recommended

So you're technically downgrading the firmware to a version that doesn't have this bug.  Follow the steps outlined in this reddit article

https://www.reddit.com/r/printers/comments/jpgpp3/hp_laserjet_pro_m280_m281_printer_series_20200612/...

If your printer is on your network (either with a physical cable or on WiFi, you should just have to run the exe, select your printer and click Send Firmware, then wait..  After the 🙂 I did go physically power cycle the printer, and a few minutes later it started the firmware downgrade on the printer itself.

Hopefully this helps, and STILL waiting to hear of a firmware fix for this... getting a little crazy they haven't publicly stated they're working on a fix for this.

HP Recommended

Purchased M281fwd printer in 2018 and installed compatible toner from the beginning keeping the original toners in case of issues. I thought I had turned off the automatic upgrades.

Woke up to be greeted by  the message INDICATED CARTRIDGES BLOCKED.

I was p'd off!

Downgraded the firmware to 20200612 but this firmware would not work with my 2018 purchased compatible tone.  Message was SUPPLY PROBLEM. 

I needed an even older firmware which I cannot find anywhere on the internet.

Had to buy new 4 pack of toner.

HP want £352 GBP!

I chose  a compatible set on Amazon for £62, which was not the cheapest. 

Now up and running again, although still p'd off that I have to jump through hoops to downgrade firmware, and throw away perfectly good compatible cartridges.

I think I can survive without using tamperproof chips, cleaner office air, higher quality environmentally friendly printing and other marketing BS that HP attaches to their promoting of their OEM toner.

HP Recommended

I purchased genuine HP toner and I still have the same problem.

I am NEVER going to buy an HP product again.

I am also on the supplies committee at my university and will be motioning for dropping all HP affiliated products when they reach the end of their life.

HP Recommended

I also was going to suggest anyone who purchased from Costco to return theirs as well!! But... I did the afore mentioned download and it works now. However if they dont do an upgrade that works then I too will be returning it.

HP Recommended

I purchased the printer through Costco as well as the HP cartridges. All blocked. I am outside the Costco return window amd the cartridges are already used so I am out of luck there. I suppose HP dividend payments need to be bolstered but they have forever lost a customer with me. I was due to buy an HP gaming desktop tomorrow too but not any more. Close call.

HP Recommended

it is work! thank you very much.

I have to remove the device first , then add printer , then run your link

HP Recommended

Did anyone try to go to settings and "Disable " Cartridge protection?

HP Recommended

Yeah that setting seems to be non functional with the newest firmware.  I had it turned off and didn't help.

HP Recommended

I have been trying to solve this problem for days now.   I can't believe someone actually thought this was a good idea.  HP you have wasted my time for several days now because you want to force me to buy your toner?  So do you really think that will work?  Seems quite the gamble considering I could simply stop buying anything with your brand on it.  Actually that's what I will do.  That way you don't have to worry about me buying your toner - problem solved.  

BTW, I'm thinking this change you've made will make your competitors very, very happy.  I know I'll be buying from them tomorrow.  I can't wait to tell them why i'm switching from HP after so many years.  And the 10 other people I'm likely to tell too.  

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.