Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
If you're having print quality issues Click here for more tips!
Check some of the most frequent questions about Instant Ink: HP INSTANT INK, HP+ PLANS: INK AND TONER.

Check out our Black or Color Ink Not Printing, Other Print Quality Issues info about: Print quality and Cartridge Issues.
HP Recommended

I'm an IT Engineer for a large construction company in Washington and California. We do business all over the western US. We have many MANY HP printers in our domain. However due to this latest firmware update that won't allow working 3rd party cartridges, we will cease buying HP computers, printers and any other HP product for our company.
I will make it my mission to  tell anyone (I get asked often from people and other companies about what brand of laptops, PC's, Servers, network equipment and Printers to use) and I will tell them from now on that under no circumstance buy any HP product. They have a total disrespect for the end user!
Over the years, I've bought over a 100 HP printers and its none of their business what cartridge I use! They are mostly all out of warranty so using a 3rd party cartridge won't hurt that. HP has NO BUSINESS bricking my printer just because I won't buy their overpriced cartridges!!!
This is an asinine business practice that HP has a history of. I spent WAY to many hours rolling back the firmware on our printers to get them to work again today and I'm pissed.
I was a long time customer of HP printers since the 1980's. But now I'm switching to a competitor. Xerox, Canon etc. Either way HP, you have lost a long time customer and have now created a dedicated adversary who will tell everyone of your Tyrannical business practices!!!

HP Recommended

Yes, it does now help. Also tried not storing usage in cartridge. 

HP Recommended

Can you please send a link to the download?

HP Recommended

This issue first popped up last year in November 2020, and I downgraded the firmware to the October 2020 version to get around it, and I turned off all auto-update features on the printer. All was well for a year, when somehow the printer updated itself in December 2021.  I still had the old firmware and tried to install it several times with no luck. Ended up I turned off wifi on the printer, and connected it via usb to my computer. Once I did that the firmware downgrade succeeded, and I'm able to print again. HP, please be aware that once this printer dies, I'll no longer be an HP customer.

HP Recommended

I did the same thing took out the newly filled cartridge at Cartridge World and put back in the old out of ink cartridge on my Magenta and yellow cartridge. I didnt mess with the black or other and it's printing again. 

HP Recommended

Unbelievable that HP would do this.  HP turned my printer into a brick. I have been loyal HP customer for years and will now throw out my HP MPF M281cdw printer and purchase a competitor brand. 

I refuse to be forced to pay inflated toner prices that HP charges. I call BS on this.  I am beyond warrantee and so using other brand cartridges would not void the HP warrantee.  This is **bleep** and no way to conduct business.  If HP thinks we will pay $275+ for replacement cartridges they are crazy. I will never purchase HP printer or PCs again.  As a retired IT executive I will tell all my friends and contacts about this shady business practice. 

HP Recommended

Does anyone think HP will reverse this idiotic practice of forcing people to use their over priced cartridges? Its too late for us. we already decided we are not playing HP games. But if enough people stop buying their printers, I'm hoping they will take notice.

Cheers,

HP Recommended

Here’s an idea for you HP, why don’t you just make your toner cartridges competitively priced.

HP Recommended

Can you repost or send me the firmware link?  My printer also is useless, but sounds like a fix is there.  Just don't see the prior post with the link.

HP Recommended

Never mind, found the link!  Worked like a charm, glad others before me figured this one out!

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.