cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Common problems for INSTANT INK, HP+ PLANS: INK AND TONER
We would like to share some of the most frequently asked questions about Instant Ink. Check out this link: HP INSTANT INK, HP+ PLANS: INK AND TONER. .
Bimmercando
1 0 0 0
Message 1 of 1
Flag Post

Ink Expiration - Office Retailer Sold a VERY EXPIRED Product

HP Recommended
HP 60 - 2 Pack Ink purchased from an Office Supply Retailer ( online purchase )
Microsoft Windows 10 (64-bit)

So after reading a past post on HP's site ( thanks to the poster for advising his findings as the HP representative had not offered the product code decryption prior to the poster's conclusion ), I learned that the HP60 black ink I just purchased / received was expired.  

https://h30434.www3.hp.com/t5/Printing-Errors-or-Lights-Stuck-Print-Jobs/How-to-read-the-date-codes-...

The expiry date was covered up ( black marker under white tape ) on the side of the box.  Believing that the ink's expiration date would be marked on the cartridge wrapper, I opened it up to only see codes on the ink.  Now why wouldn;t HP mark the date on the wrapper?  In my case, the manufactured date was from back on 12/29/2016, hence the expiry date = 2+ years so 12/29/2018.  Add  another 18 months before this item potentially "self destructs" (evaporates ! and/or decomposes ?, whichever comes first) and that passed in 07/2020.  Pushing the limits here, as my " 'Ole Betsy" HP F4280 printer technology didn't create programmed ink expiration date malfunctions!  Lucky as this old  printer operates with an empty color cartridge in the holder for the needed cost efficient 300dpi grade, black only print.  My newer HPprinters are not so friendly when it comes to an empty ink cartridge.     

Anyhow,  this big name office supply retailer "Office Depot-Office Max" tried to pull a fast one on off on me which was a poor decision.  I figure it was intentional as a knowledgeable employee would know the looks and feel of an old ink package, especially one that had an HP c2014 copyright printed on it. 

Bad Move, Bad.

Being desperate for my printed page and without any time to run back to curbside, ( great pickup service - Hallandale, Fla !! ), I missed that "c2014 Hewlitt Packard" clue.  

Deciding whether to return this to the store and question the manager for an employee trying to pawn off old inventory or

( possibly a means of double dipping by getting credit from HP on unsold inventory and then selling this "to be destroyed" stock?), do I test my patience and appeal to customer service and then still end up having to return the soon to be buried for good ( "land contamination" ) ink?

P.S. - If the ink expiration date is ever hidden, look for the HP address where it shows the copyright date for HP Inc. 

This will dictate the product's generation.

Warning Be alert for scammers posting fake support phone numbers and/or email addresses on the community. If you think you have received a fake HP Support message, please report it to us by clicking on "Flag Post".
† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the Terms of Use and Rules of Participation