Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
If you're having print quality issues Click here for more tips!
Check some of the most frequent questions about Instant Ink: HP INSTANT INK, HP+ PLANS: INK AND TONER.

Check out our Black or Color Ink Not Printing, Other Print Quality Issues info about: Print quality and Cartridge Issues.
HP Recommended
HP OfficeJet Pro 8025
Microsoft Windows 10 (64-bit)

Hello all,

I recently bought a new HP Officejet Pro 8025 printer and of course the ink that comes with a new printer doesn't last long so I ordered more ink and they were original HP Ink cartridges 910 magenta, yellow and cyan and the 910xl black.

I waited a few more weeks and when needed changing I did so, all very easy.

I have now printed about 100 pages in the past month and they were basically black with very little color yet the three color cartridges are showing almost empty however the black is still almost full.

I have a strange suspicion that this is to make me sign up for HP's instant ink program but I really don't like that having issues with my brother-in-laws printer which is the exact same model as mine.

I am hoping that there is someway to over-ride the falsely showing levels and get a true reading so that I can order more ink when really needed.

Please help.

Regards,

Doug.

2 REPLIES 2
HP Recommended

@Doorpro wrote:

... I have now printed about 100 pages in the past month and they were basically black with very little color yet the three color cartridges are showing almost empty however the black is still almost full.

@Doorpro 

As you already know: mixing 3 prime colors at a right amount will give at least 16 million colors from black to white. Printers do the same therefore if you wish to print B&W only you have to tell your printer, otherwise it will mix color inks to make black.

To do that, from app, select printer properties (or references and select Grayscale: Black ink only.

Regards.

BH
**Click the KUDOS thumb up on the left to say 'Thanks'**
Make it easier for other people to find solutions by marking a Reply 'Accept as Solution' if it solves your problem.

HP Recommended

Hello,

firstly I cannot find anything like the solution in the app but will keep looking.

My problem is that I want the printer to use black only to prink black and when it runs out of black I have no problem letting it mix the colors until I replace the black.

What I do not want is to have the printer decide itself to use the colors and to be honest I have never heard of a printer doing that unless it runs low of the black.

This is my first HP printer and most likely my last because of your statement, it makes no sense and i am sorry to have to say this.

Now, as to "printer properties' or "references" the app has nothing like that so I looked in settings and still couldn't find the "grayscale" setting but I am thinking that If I set the printer that way it will only print in black and white, no?

Regards,

Doug.

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.