Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
If you're having print quality issues Click here for more tips!
Check some of the most frequent questions about Instant Ink: HP INSTANT INK, HP+ PLANS: INK AND TONER.

Check out our Black or Color Ink Not Printing, Other Print Quality Issues info about: Print quality and Cartridge Issues.
HP Recommended
HP ENVY 4520
Microsoft Windows 10 (64-bit)

Hey all,

Hope you can help. I have an HP Envy 4520 printer and has worked completely fine for as long as I've had it. I use the instant ink monthly payment so I pay every month and they send me ink as and when it becomes low. Never had a problem.

I have just tried to print a picture and it printed as if the colour ink was low.

I checked on instantink and it says I have good (about half) levels of colour ink I have cleaned the cartridges using the settings on the printer and run print quality diagnostics but it shows the magenta level as all but non existant.

How do I sort this if the printer is saying the magenta is low but instantink is saying it's fine?

I have run all the diagnostics I can think of, but it all comes down to the test pages showing zero magenta but instant ink showing satisfactory amount of colour ink.

I would call HP but their customer support isn't open until tomorrow.

FYI the printer uses two cartridges black and tricolour.

TIA for any suggestions. 

Rachael

9 REPLIES 9
HP Recommended

Hi @raysen,

I'd like to help!

I understand you are facing print quality issues

To assist better-

1) Does the copy print out the same way? 

2) What's the application you are trying to print from? Have you tried printing from a different application or devices? 

While you respond to that, let's print a Print Quality Diagnostic page -

1. Make sure to load the input tray with plain, white paper.

2. On the printer control panel, swipe the display to the left, and then touch Setup.

3. Touch Tools.

4. Swipe up on the display, and then touch Print Quality Report.

Post the Print Quality Diagnostic page here so we can help you further. 

You may also refer to this document with steps to fix the " Print Quality Issues" issue applicable for your printer -  Print Quality Issues 

Also, try updating the printer's firmware - HP Printers - Updating or Upgrading Printer Firmware 

Please send us a private message with your Instant Ink account details or you may also respond to the private message I've sent out and I'll help you out, accordingly. Check next to your profile name, you should see a little blue envelope, please click on it. 

Hope this helps! Keep me posted. 

And, Welcome to the HP Support Community

Please click “Accept as Solution” if you feel my post solved your issue, it will help others find the solution.

Click the “Yes" on the bottom right to say “Thanks” for helping!

HP Recommended

Hi, 

Sorry I've had to create another account because I can't get in to my previous one. 

I have tried printing from my computer (Windows 10) and also from my phone. 

It will print black and white text documents fine, but anything with colour will print streaky green as if there is no red.

Please see the below for the steps and images of the print quality diagnostics. 

1 - I took the steps you said and printed a Print Quality Diagnostic - This is what printed.

Print quality diagnostic.jpg

2 - I then went in to tools and used the clean cartridges option - This is what printed.

After cartridge clean.jpg

3 - I selected yes to do the secondary clean - This is what printed. 

After 2nd clean.jpg

4  - This is what my Instantink account shows as the ink levels

Raysen1_0-1636195768233.png

Edit: I have also checked for updates on the printer and it says it is up to date.

Can you please resend your private message to me on this account and I'll be able to reply back with my instantink details.

Thanks

Rachael

HP Recommended

Hi, is there an update on this please?

HP Recommended

I had requested your instant ink account information in a private message on November 9th, haven't received them yet.

Would you please share the requested information?

Hope this helps!

Let me know!

HP Recommended

Hi, 

I haven't received any private message. Have you resent it to this account RAYSEN1 rather than the account I posted the original post from RAYSEN? As mentioned in my reply I am unable to log in to the original account. 

Please send me any private messages to this account. I seem to be unable to private message you directly. 

Thanks

Rachael

HP Recommended

I have resent you the message, please check

HP Recommended

Hi, I have not received any private message. Can you confirm which account you are contacting?

Thanks

HP Recommended

I  had replied to @Raysen1 account.

I have resent a message as well.

Let me know if you have received it.

HP Recommended

Hi, 

I have received no direct messages (see below screenshot). 

I have however been able to message you directly which I have done now, so please check for this and see if you can respond back to that.

Raysen1_0-1638044455319.png

Thanks

Rachael

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.