Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
If you're having print quality issues Click here for more tips!
Check some of the most frequent questions about Instant Ink: HP INSTANT INK, HP+ PLANS: INK AND TONER.

Check out our Black or Color Ink Not Printing, Other Print Quality Issues info about: Print quality and Cartridge Issues.
HP Recommended
Laserjet Pro 402 dne
macOS 10.15 Catalina

Every time I go to print a document the only thing that happens is that the printer re-starts. 

Sometimes turning the printer off for a minute or so and exiting the printer program helps - if not I have to reinstall the printer.

The HP help is a complete waste of time.

2 REPLIES 2
HP Recommended

This behaviour can be caused if the printer is starved for power because it is connected to either a surge bar, a multi-outlet tap or a UPS. Printers should be plugged directly into the wall. The next thing to test is printing any report from the printer control panel.  If you can do that then you know that power and basic printer functions are working. If the printer fails to print a report then you have a hardware issue with the printer. If it does print then the likely issue is either out of date firmware or a corrupted/incorrect driver.  Go to support.hp.com and check for the current firmware for your printer, if not correct download and install the current firmware. In terms of driver, uninstall and reinstall, using current drivers from the website.

If you find the information provided useful or solves your problems, help other users find the solution easier by giving kudos and marking my post as an accepted solution.
I am a volunteer, offering my knowledge to support fellow users, I do not work for HP nor speak for HP.

HP Recommended

Many thanks.  I have done this, (there was an update a few days ago that is now installed)

The power is straight off the mains.

The driver is the HP one (and I have re-installed to make sure it is the latest.

It seems now that the first time I try to print, it restarts.

I then clear the print queue and re print, and it usually goes.

The really unimpressive issue is that Hewlett Packard help is completely useless - unless your problem is exactly one they have defined, there are no answers.

I bought the 402 because I had 19 years outstanding service from a 200, and hoped for the same again.  Sadly no.

The total lack of help other than from volunteers like yourself is damming.  I won't be buying from HP again.

I appreciate your time - however it has not provided a solution, I haven't clicked that box.

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.