Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
If you're having print quality issues Click here for more tips!
Check some of the most frequent questions about Instant Ink: HP INSTANT INK, HP+ PLANS: INK AND TONER.

Check out our Black or Color Ink Not Printing, Other Print Quality Issues info about: Print quality and Cartridge Issues.
HP Recommended

I have run the scan doctor, and this printer still will not print. The print job sends to the que and then it just says error. The wireless connection shows on both my printer and computer, Windows 7 Asus. I am hoping I won't have to buy a new printer. This issue has been happening from the very beginning...

5 REPLIES 5
HP Recommended

@lilikay

Thank you for posting on HP Forums, 

Riddle_Decipher is at your service. 

As I understand your Deskjet 2540 isn't printing,

No worries, as I'll be glad to help you, that said, I'll need a few more details to dissect your concern & provide an accurate solution: 

Did you attempt to delete print jobs and restart?

Have you reset the print spooler?

While you respond to that, here's what you need to do:

The best way to resolve the issue is by using the HP Guided Troubleshooter: 

Click here to access it

(simply select your description of the issue from the bottom of the screen to gain access to the next set of steps that should resolve your concern).

Alternatively, you may also try the below steps:

Step 1: Delete job files and restart

Whenever a print job is sent to the printer a file is created in Windows. Sometimes these files become corrupt and cause problems. To properly reset your printing environment, delete these print job files manually and restart both the computer and the printer.

View this video on YouTube.

1. Turn off the printer using the power button and then unplug the printer power cord from the power outlet.

2. Save your work. After using these steps, your current print jobs are lost and will need to be printed again.

3. Open Windows Services using one of the following methods:

• Search Windows for services, and click Services in the list of results.

• On your keyboard, press Windows key ( ) + R, type services.msc in the window that opens, and then click OK.

4. Scroll through the list of services and find the name Print Spooler.

5. Right-click Print Spooler and select Stop.

Figure : Stop selection for Print Spooler Service

Service window the Print Spooler service selected from the Name list and the Stop selection called out.

6. After the service has been stopped, close the service window and use Windows Explorer to browse to C:\Windows\System32\Spool\PRINTERS.

7. Delete all files inside the PRINTERS folder.

8. Shut down your computer from Windows.

9. Make sure you printer has been unplugged for at least 60 seconds, and then plug the power cord into a power outlet.

10. Turn on the printer using the power button on the printer.

11. Turn on the computer and wait for Windows to open.

12. Try printing again and note what happens.

• If the printer prints, you are done.

• If the print job becomes stuck again, continue to the next step.

CLICK HERE FOR MORE STEPS AND INSTRUCTIONS.

(By the end of this article all the issues should be resolved)

Let me know how that pans out

feel free to give me a virtual high-five by clicking the 'Thumbs Up' icon,

followed by clicking on 'Accepted as Solution' as it would help the community gain more knowledge,

And Have a great day Ahead!

Riddle_Decipher
I am an HP Employee

HP Recommended

I have had bt tech guys re connecting my printer every day, it is so frustrating..please be honest and tell me is it because this is an old model, should I buy a new one, thats what they say I should do

HP Recommended

I did everything on the instructions,  deleted all files in Printers folder etc and still printer not working.  PC is windows 10 pro. Don't know what to do  now, did all the unplugging and plugging in etc, switching PC off and on 

HP Recommended

I restarted spooler as well, nothing 

HP Recommended

@DawnChorus

Welcome to the HP Support Community.

Are you able to make a copy?

Try using the built-in drivers to print: https://support.hp.com/in-en/document/c01796879

Let me know if this helps.

If the information I've provided was helpful, give us some reinforcement by clicking the Accepted Solution button, that'll help us and others see that we've got the answers!

Thanks!

Have a great day!

I am an HP Employee

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.