Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
If you're having print quality issues Click here for more tips!
Check some of the most frequent questions about Instant Ink: HP INSTANT INK, HP+ PLANS: INK AND TONER.

Check out our Black or Color Ink Not Printing, Other Print Quality Issues info about: Print quality and Cartridge Issues.
HP Recommended
HP Color Laser MFP 178nw
Microsoft Windows 10 (64-bit)

I was low on black toner the other day and that's where things started to go wrong. I brought a replacement, changed the cartridges over and hoped that I could continue printing as normal, however this is not the case.

My printer will print test pages perfectly but it won't print my documents perfectly. It only prints either side of the document.

I've tried cleaning the inside but it hasn't made any difference to the printing quality. 

2 REPLIES 2
HP Recommended

Many of the test pages use composite color (combining yellow/magenta/cyan) to print the black, not the black cartridge. If you still have the old cartridge, try printing with it. Most of the time a print defect that shows up after changing a cartridge is a cartridge issue not a printer hardware problem.

If you find the information provided useful or solves your problems, help other users find the solution easier by giving kudos and marking my post as an accepted solution.
I am a volunteer, offering my knowledge to support fellow users, I do not work for HP nor speak for HP.

HP Recommended

I only seem to have this problem when printing from my laptop. When I print from my phone the colour and text is printing perfectly. Is there a problem with myy computer settings maybe?

To my knowledge I haven't changed any settings inbetween me changing my cartridges.

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.