Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
If you're having print quality issues Click here for more tips!
Check some of the most frequent questions about Instant Ink: HP INSTANT INK, HP+ PLANS: INK AND TONER.

Check out our Black or Color Ink Not Printing, Other Print Quality Issues info about: Print quality and Cartridge Issues.
HP Recommended
Other

My printer is not printing photos properly. The quality is unusable and the ink comes out wet and smeared. Color & Black and white Documents are printing fine. Has anyone experienced this issue?

1 REPLY 1
HP Recommended

Hi @MAA88,

Welcome to HP Support Community.  

Thank you for posting your query, I will be glad to help you.

If your HP Envy Photo printer is only printing documents properly but producing smeared and blurry photos, there are a few potential causes for this issue. Here are some troubleshooting steps you can try.

• Check the ink levels: Ensure that your printer has enough ink in all the cartridges. Low ink levels can affect print quality, especially when it comes to photos. If any of the ink cartridges are low, consider replacing them.
  • Clean the printhead: Over time, the printhead can become clogged or dirty, leading to poor print quality. Most printers have a built-in printhead cleaning utility in the settings menu. Run the printhead cleaning process to clear any blockages or debris.
  • Adjust print settings: Make sure you have selected the appropriate print settings for photos. In your print dialog or printer settings, choose the highest print quality and the correct paper type for your photo. You may also have an option for "Photo Enhance" or similar, which can improve the print quality.
  • Use photo paper: Ensure that you are using the appropriate photo paper for printing photos. Regular paper may not be able to absorb the ink properly, leading to smearing and blurring. Check the recommended paper type for your printer and use that for optimal results.
  • Update printer drivers: Outdated printer drivers can sometimes cause print quality issues. Visit the HP website and download the latest drivers for your specific printer model. Install the updated drivers on your computer and see if it improves the print quality.
  • Check the print settings on your computer: Make sure that the print settings on your computer are properly configured. Ensure that the paper size, orientation, and other settings match your requirements. Also, verify that the correct printer is selected.
  • Perform a printer reset: Sometimes, performing a reset on your printer can resolve various issues. Refer to your printer's manual or the HP website for instructions on how to reset your specific model.

I hope this helps. 

Take care and have a good day.

Please click “Accepted Solution” if you feel my post solved your issue, it will help others find the solution. Click the “Kudos/Thumbs Up" on the bottom right to say “Thanks” for helping!

Alden4
HP Support 

I am an HP Employee.
† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.