Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
If you're having print quality issues Click here for more tips!
Check some of the most frequent questions about Instant Ink: HP INSTANT INK, HP+ PLANS: INK AND TONER.

Check out our Black or Color Ink Not Printing, Other Print Quality Issues info about: Print quality and Cartridge Issues.
HP Recommended
HP OfficeJet Pro 6975

Why is there a shortage of these ink cartridges?

I was forced to buy a third party set of cartridges from Office World and now my printer gives me an error message "carriage jam" and will not print.

Is this some type of ploy by HP to force customers to upgrade their printer? If this is, you can bet we will not be buying another HP printer.

4 REPLIES 4
HP Recommended

Sorry to hear your challenges. I work for an HP Partner and we are having issues with many products from many vendors. Various lockdowns and massive increase in usage of smaller printers have exacerbated the situation. For some products we now face a 90 delay in actually being able to deliver new products to customers. 

If you find the information provided useful or solves your problems, help other users find the solution easier by giving kudos and marking my post as an accepted solution.
I am a volunteer, offering my knowledge to support fellow users, I do not work for HP nor speak for HP.

HP Recommended

My main problem is that my printer is locked up with an error message "carriage jam".  I've followed the instructions for clearing this message, however, I'm not able to resolve the problem. I am using "non-HP" ink cartridges that I purchased from Office World.

Since no one seems to have the HP 902 cartridges, I was hoping that these cartridges would be compatible, and a good substitute until the HP brand becomes available again. I suspect that my "carriage jam" error is due to these third party cartridges.

I wish HP was more helpful and forthcoming with the problem and have a software upgrade fix to help us. It appears this is not a unique issue since I'm seeing similar complaints on the internet dating back several months. 

Without a solution, it looks like we will be forced to throw away (recycle) these useless printers.

Could anyone suggest another brand that is reliable?

HP Recommended

Apologies for jumping in unannounced.

@fleetwoodmeck 

Check here:

HP OfficeJet Printers - 'Incompatible' or 'Defective Cartridge' message

This document applies only to these HP Officejet and Officejet Pro printers that use HP 910, 912, 914, 915, 902-905, or HP 935 ink cartridges:

• HP Officejet 6810, 6820, 6950, 6960, and 8010 printer series
  • HP OfficeJet Pro 6230, 6830, 6960, 6970, 8020, and 8030 printer series

Thank you for participating in the HP Community.

Our Community is comprised of volunteers - people who own and use HP devices.

Dragon-Fur

HP Recommended

Thank you Dragon Fur.

Do you know anything about how to clear an error message "carriage jam"?

I've followed the recommended steps made by HP and can't get rid of this message. There is no paper jam or pieces of paper caught inside of my printer. Would you know if the "carriage jam" message is related to using third party ink cartridges?

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.