Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
If you're having print quality issues Click here for more tips!
Check some of the most frequent questions about Instant Ink: HP INSTANT INK, HP+ PLANS: INK AND TONER.

Check out our Black or Color Ink Not Printing, Other Print Quality Issues info about: Print quality and Cartridge Issues.
HP Recommended
HP Deskjet 2540
Microsoft Windows 10 (32-bit)

HP 61 Cartridge gives error message after replacing with brand new genuine HP 61 cartridges. I followed HP Print and Scan Doctor general trouble shooting instructions for this problem. I have done the following to troubleshoot:

1)Cleaned cartridges as instructed, after trying two separate BRAND NEW HP61 cartridges.

2) rebooted printer:  unplugged when printer was on, waited more than 60 seconds to reset. 

3) updated HP firmware.

4)Uninstalled and reinstalled printer software from HP website as instructed.

NONE OF THESE Troubleshooting steps worked.

This is not a cartridge problem. The two new HP 61cartridges I tried should have fixed the problem. It is much more likely it is a printer problem for the function that checks the cartridge performance. How do I fix that? Is there a reset for the whole printer? Is there some sort of cartridge detector I can replace?  

3 REPLIES 3
HP Recommended

@BLcartridgeProb wrote:

.... Is there a reset for the whole printer? Is there some sort of cartridge detector I can replace?  

@BLcartridgeProb 

Where did you buy your printer and where are you using it now ? You may have to reset your printer.

Regards.

BH
**Click the KUDOS thumb up on the left to say 'Thanks'**
Make it easier for other people to find solutions by marking a Reply 'Accept as Solution' if it solves your problem.

HP Recommended

Thank you for replying, but your "solutions" don't help in any way. What does location I bought it have to do with the problem? I bought it in California USA for what it's worth.

And what do you mean by "reset" the printer? Do you mean reboot? I tried that by  unplugging the printer while it was on, and disconnecting the power source overnight. Is there another way to "reset" the printer?

I know it is not a cartridge problem because I replaced the cartridge with two brand new HP brand 61 black ink cartridges, purchased from Staples. It is unlikely they are counterfeit cartridges or that two new cartridges would fail. It is most likely that the fault is in the printer itself, maybe a detector of some sort that monitors the cartridge performance, giving a false error message.  

HP Recommended

I bought it in California USA and I am using it in California USA. It is not a "regions" problem.

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.