cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Common problems for INSTANT INK, HP+ PLANS: INK AND TONER
We would like to share some of the most frequently asked questions about Instant Ink. Check out this link: HP INSTANT INK, HP+ PLANS: INK AND TONER. .
BLcartridgeProb
3 2 0 0
Message 1 of 4
Flag Post

New HP 61 cartridges get error message for Deskjet 2540

HP Recommended
HP Deskjet 2540
Microsoft Windows 10 (32-bit)

HP 61 Cartridge gives error message after replacing with brand new genuine HP 61 cartridges. I followed HP Print and Scan Doctor general trouble shooting instructions for this problem. I have done the following to troubleshoot:

1)Cleaned cartridges as instructed, after trying two separate BRAND NEW HP61 cartridges.

2) rebooted printer:  unplugged when printer was on, waited more than 60 seconds to reset. 

3) updated HP firmware.

4)Uninstalled and reinstalled printer software from HP website as instructed.

NONE OF THESE Troubleshooting steps worked.

This is not a cartridge problem. The two new HP 61cartridges I tried should have fixed the problem. It is much more likely it is a printer problem for the function that checks the cartridge performance. How do I fix that? Is there a reset for the whole printer? Is there some sort of cartridge detector I can replace?  

3 REPLIES 3
banhien
Level 19
Level 19
94,803 93,460 12,281 26,111
Message 2 of 4
Flag Post
HP Recommended

@BLcartridgeProb wrote:

.... Is there a reset for the whole printer? Is there some sort of cartridge detector I can replace?  

@BLcartridgeProb 

Where did you buy your printer and where are you using it now ? You may have to reset your printer.

Regards.

BH
**Click the KUDOS thumb up on the left to say 'Thanks'**
Make it easier for other people to find solutions by marking a Reply 'Accept as Solution' if it solves your problem.

>
Was this reply helpful? Yes No
BLcartridgeProb
Author
3 2 0 0
Message 3 of 4
Flag Post
HP Recommended

Thank you for replying, but your "solutions" don't help in any way. What does location I bought it have to do with the problem? I bought it in California USA for what it's worth.

And what do you mean by "reset" the printer? Do you mean reboot? I tried that by  unplugging the printer while it was on, and disconnecting the power source overnight. Is there another way to "reset" the printer?

I know it is not a cartridge problem because I replaced the cartridge with two brand new HP brand 61 black ink cartridges, purchased from Staples. It is unlikely they are counterfeit cartridges or that two new cartridges would fail. It is most likely that the fault is in the printer itself, maybe a detector of some sort that monitors the cartridge performance, giving a false error message.  

BLcartridgeProb
Author
3 2 0 0
Message 4 of 4
Flag Post
HP Recommended

I bought it in California USA and I am using it in California USA. It is not a "regions" problem.

Warning Be alert for scammers posting fake support phone numbers and/or email addresses on the community. If you think you have received a fake HP Support message, please report it to us by clicking on "Flag Post".
† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the Terms of Use and Rules of Participation