Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
If you're having print quality issues Click here for more tips!
Check some of the most frequent questions about Instant Ink: HP INSTANT INK, HP+ PLANS: INK AND TONER.

Check out our Black or Color Ink Not Printing, Other Print Quality Issues info about: Print quality and Cartridge Issues.
HP Recommended
Envy 4524
Microsoft Windows 10 (32-bit)

A previous stream of posts with regards to not printing magenta on the 4524 was terminated in 2018 without any solution. I have the problem now at the end of 2020.  I've tried all the suggested fixes mentioned and I am using HP cartridges and instant ink.  In the interim 2 years or so has a fix for this problem been found.

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
HP Recommended

Nothing else to add to this case so I am closing it.

View solution in original post

3 REPLIES 3
HP Recommended

The link to the problem which spawned the previously mentioned stream of posts is:- https://h30434.www3.hp.com/t5/Printing-Errors-or-Lights-Stuck-Print-Jobs/hp-envy-4524-doesn-t-print-...

The PC used is irrelevant to this problem as it also happening when copying in colour.

The photo I printed, which first showed the problem, was initially printing correctly but gradually degraded to a green hue which increased across the rest of photo. A device error would have seen a sudden loss of magenta.

Running the Print Quality Diagnostic confirmed that the magenta was missing.

The ink level for both the colour and black cartridge showed them both to be exactly the same at about half empty. What are the chances of that actually being the values?

I also believe the previously mentioned problem ended without resolution as the people affected fixed the problem themselves either by replacing the colour cartridge or buying a new printer.

Having trolled through various HP support sites and finding no solution to the problem I decided to purchase a new HP colour cartridge. I installed the cartridge and Instant Ink would not let me use it because it only allows Instant Ink cartridges to be used. I therefore cancelled my Instant Ink subscription. Now as the cartridge is allowed to be used I could print and the photo was perfect i.e. magenta now printed okay.

Although this is definitely a colour cartridge problem the cost to me was increased as on cancelling Instant Ink the black cartridge was given 3 days after which it could no longer be used in my printer. So I had to purchase a new black cartridge as well!

HP Recommended

Please be aware that the post above is there to help others diagnose loss of magenta on an HP Envy 4524 printer. Whether it applies to other HP printers I have no idea. It is not meant to be seen as a criticism of HP printers.

I have always used HP printers and this problem ain't going to change my mind when I need to replace my current printer.

I also think HP Instant Ink is well worth having but no longer for me because as I've got older (I was 73 a few days ago) my printing needs have diminished compared to 4 years ago when I bought the printer. So now it is no longer really something I really need.

HP Recommended

Nothing else to add to this case so I am closing it.

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.