Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
If you're having print quality issues Click here for more tips!
Check some of the most frequent questions about Instant Ink: HP INSTANT INK, HP+ PLANS: INK AND TONER.

Check out our Black or Color Ink Not Printing, Other Print Quality Issues info about: Print quality and Cartridge Issues.
HP Recommended
HP Color LaserJet Pro MFP M477fdw
Microsoft Windows 10 (32-bit)

Our printer keeps cleaning itself constantly, we did the cleaning check and replaced ink. it is HP Color LaserJet Pro MFP M477fdw

8 REPLIES 8
HP Recommended

Hi I would like to assist to the best of my ability to solve your problem.I hope the information i supply will be of help.Just for information some technical information is protected by HP and is not allowed to be answered.This is unfortunate and you will have to contact a HP repair shop for the help in this case.I will try to explain this.The machine is set to do a calibration from time to time to keep the colours correct for printing.Should this be switch off the colour will be wrong and will need to be recalibrated.So best is to have the machine clean and calibrate itself with intervals.Hope this will help.

I am A certified Copier Technician.
It is so nice to give some help where possible and the forum is a great idea Thank You.Sometimes a picture speaks louder than words to find a solution.Should you find my help use full just give some credit for my effort please.
.Thank You.Copier-Pro
If you found this post helpful, you can let others know and also show your appreciation by clicking the “Accept as Solution”button, “Thumbs up" button!

#################################################################
I'M NOT AN HP EMPLOYEE AND DO ANSWER THESE QUESTION ON MY OWN BEHALF.
HP Recommended

Thank you! I did calibrate the machine but when I print a document of more than 1 page, the machine says cleaning each time and may re-print a misprint. 

HP Recommended

Hi I would like to assist to the best of my ability to solve your problem.I hope the information i supply will be of help.Just for information some technical information is protected by HP and is not allowed to be answered.This is unfortunate and you will have to contact a HP repair shop for the help in this case.In this case the printer might need a service.It sounds like it not calibrating to the right specifications of the machine and keeps trying to get that in order.I would consider to have the machine serviced and checked by a service department.

I am A certified Copier Technician.
It is so nice to give some help where possible and the forum is a great idea Thank You.Sometimes a picture speaks louder than words to find a solution.Should you find my help use full just give some credit for my effort please.
.Thank You.Copier-Pro
If you found this post helpful, you can let others know and also show your appreciation by clicking the “Accept as Solution”button, “Thumbs up" button!

I'M NOT AN HP EMPLOYEE AND DO ANSWER THESE QUESTION ON MY OWN BEHALF.
HP Recommended

Good afternoon,

I do have an adjustment that can be made to avoid the cleaning/misprint issue you're speaking of. At least it has worked for me on a few machines of the same model..

Do as follows;

Go to system setup

Go to Paper setup, then paper type (tray 1 and 2)

Switch paper type for both to heavy

Go back to paper setup - then go into Paper out action

Change this setting to Overide

The pages may print out a little slower, but they'll print out without having to worry about that cleaning issue constantly.

Hope this helps!!

HP Recommended

with hp help, my BW cartridge was low at 20%. I gave it a shake (they said to insert a new one but i didn;t have but ordered) and that fixed the issue. ..low toner. Even printing one color like red looks to the black to mix so that;s was my solution

HP Recommended

Check and clean your pickup/feed rollers. They may be worn or simply dirty. Whenever these printers can't pick a sheet from the tray to print, they'll go into a cleaning cycle to clean the belt of leftover toner from the attempted print job and then try to print again - a vicious cycle.

Your rollers should have some texture on the surface to give them grip on the paper. If they are smooth, they should be replaced. Otherwise cleaning with a cloth dampened with water or alcohol should do the trick for awhile until they get dirty again. Make sure the paper is clean so it doesn't re-contaminate the rollers too quickly.

Also, make sure the paper guides inside the cassette aren't set too tightly against the paper as that can hinder the paper being lifted to the rollers. There should be a little detent that the guides should kind of click into as you slide them for the correct paper size. Let them sit there. There will be a small space between the guide and paper if done correctly.

Good luck.

HP Recommended

I am receiving the same error message.  I did the hard reset process and it still occurs.  Does this printer need to go into repair?  This printer is less than a year old.

HP Recommended
What error message are you getting? This original post is regarding a constant cleaning routine, not necessarily an error. If you are experiencing a repeating cleaning on your printer, have you tried the suggestions in my post just above yours? If you're getting a different message, what is the error or message you're getting?
† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.