Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
If you're having print quality issues Click here for more tips!
Check some of the most frequent questions about Instant Ink: HP INSTANT INK, HP+ PLANS: INK AND TONER.

Check out our Black or Color Ink Not Printing, Other Print Quality Issues info about: Print quality and Cartridge Issues.
HP Recommended
OfficeJet Pro 8720
macOS 10.12 Sierra

Whenever I scan a document, the first page that I print is always poor quality - blurred/fuzzy. It's always just one page. It's like something in the printer is not re-aligning properly after scanning. This happens every single time after I scan. What a waste of paper. Has anyone else had this problem, and if so, how did you fix it?

6 REPLIES 6
HP Recommended

@MarleneMM

Welcome to the HP support community.

Clean the printhead

1. On the printer control panel, swipe down to open the Dashboard, and then touch the Setup icon .

2. Swipe up on the display, and then touch Printer Maintenance.

3. Touch Clean Printhead, and then touch Continue.

A test page prints.

Example of the printhead cleaning test page

4. Examine the test page.

• If the print quality is unacceptable, touch Clean Again to continue the next level of cleaning. Repeat these steps for the third cleaning stage, if necessary.

Align the printhead

1. On the printer control panel, swipe down to open the Dashboard, and then touch the Setup icon .

2. Swipe up on the display, and then touch Printer Maintenance.

3. Touch Align Printhead, and then touch Continue.

You can refer this HP document for more assistance:- Click here

I hope that helps.

To thank me for my efforts to help you, please mark my post as an accepted solution so that it benefits several others.

Cheers.

Sandytechy20
I am an HP Employee

HP Recommended

This is not the solution. The printer prints just fine EXCEPT the very first page that prints immediately after something has been scanned. I should not have to re-align the printer head, or clean it, just because I've done a scan. Every single time that first page is fuzzy (double printed/offset), but the second page, and every other page that prints after that is fine. The problem happens again when I scan another document. And I scan a LOT of paperwork.

HP Recommended

@MarleneMM

Update the printer firmware

Here are the steps:- Click here

I hope that helps.

To thank me for my efforts to help you, please mark my post as an accepted solution so that it benefits several others.

Cheers.

Sandytechy20
I am an HP Employee

HP Recommended

I followed the instructions and the printer already up to date. Here's a screen grab. Got any other ideas?Screen Shot 2020-10-01 at 6.14.52 PM.png

HP Recommended

Screen Shot 2020-10-01 at 6.18.02 PM.JPG

HP Recommended

@MarleneMM

Welcome to the HP support community.

Restore the printer to the original factory defaults and setup the printer again.

1. From the printer control panel, touch or swipe down the tab at the top of the screen to open the Dashboard, and then touch ( Setup ).

2. Touch Printer Maintenance.

3. Touch Restore.

4. Touch Restore Factory Defaults. A message appears stating that the factory defaults will be restored.

5. Touch Restore.

Refer page no.141 in this HP document for more assistance:- Click here

Let me know how it goes.

To thank me for my efforts to help you, please mark my post as an accepted solution so that it benefits several others.

Cheers.

Sandytechy20
I am an HP Employee

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.