Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
If you're having print quality issues Click here for more tips!
Check some of the most frequent questions about Instant Ink: HP INSTANT INK, HP+ PLANS: INK AND TONER.

Check out our Black or Color Ink Not Printing, Other Print Quality Issues info about: Print quality and Cartridge Issues.
HP Recommended
Laser Jet Pro MFP M29w
Mac OS X 10.11 El Capitan

I was grateful to have been able to purchase a reasonably inexpensive laser printer when I bought the Laserjet MFP M29w.
However I have been plagued by the nuisance of reconfiguring (re-choosing) the printer whenever I need to print anything. Seems that whenever the firmware senses some dubious need to beg for another toner purchase, it makes it difficult to print anything with the remaining (paid for) toner.
What would it cost me to have an HP b&w laser printer that would allow me to actually SEE that the toner cartridge could no longer adequately print a page and needs replacement - rather than the manufacturer making it harder for me to print unless I installed a not yet needed replacement cartridge?  Please treat this query seriously.  I would be grateful to know if there is any HP b&w laser printer available that is not programmed to de-configure when it guesses that "toner is low".  We all would be happy to have a printer that did not try to substitute for our eyes in determining when to buy a replacement toner cartridge.

I have a HP CF248A cartidge sitting on the shelf waiting for the current cartridge to run out, but am made to reconfigure the printer before each use because of HP's mis-guided marketing ploy.   Stop the madness.
R K Hoke
Kingston, NJ

(Of course, I imagine your response to my hack is to realize that you should never have allowed the printer to be reconfigured in this spurious "low toner" mode.  Guess the software guys missed the boat on that one.  I'm sure you'll  soon have a soft/firm ware update to shut the whole printer down completely until a new cartridge is inserted, no matter how many pages could still be printed with the "low" cartridge.)

9 REPLIES 9
HP Recommended

@kibbitz
Thank you for posting on the HP Support Community.

Don't worry as I'll be glad to help,

A Cartridge is Low or Cartridge is Very Low message displays when the amount of toner in the cartridge is below a certain percentage. This message is a reminder to have a replacement toner cartridge available. You do not need to replace the toner cartridge until print quality becomes unacceptable.

You can change when the Cartridge is Low message displays by changing your Supply Settings options in the System Setup menu on the printer control panel.

Not only that, but you can purchase replacement cartridges and other supplies from the HP Store or local retailers.

Hope this helps! Keep me posted for further assistance.
Please click “
Accept as Solution” if you feel my post solved your issue, it will help others find the solution.

ECHO_LAKE
I am an HP Employee

HP Recommended

Thanks for the reply, Echo Lake -

It's a little unclear what you mean by changing the "Supply Settings" in the "System Setup" menu. Sounds like that's where I need to get to to keep from having to reselect the printer after each time it sleeps or gets shut down, but are you referring to some control in the printer's "embedded web server" or in the local/installed file "HP Utility" (see it's guide image encl), or some other mysterious "Supply Settings" widget.  Please tell me where, specifically, to go to fine your solution.    Thanks,    Kibbitz/NJ

- - - - LaserJet Pro MFP M28-M31 - - - -

"You can change when the Cartridge is Low message displays by changing your Supply Settings options in the System Setup menu on the printer control panel."

._HP Utility_ guide.png

HP Recommended

Found the "Supply Settings" you referred to in the EWS, see encl.

Still can't stop the disconnections, which only started when the "Low" warnings began.  So I only want to get back to that prior state before the ink marketers stuck their nose in.  I am cheered to hear you (an HP employee) say that I should not be having this problem.     Tks - Kibbitz

EWS page found.png

HP Recommended

(prior msg did not take the encl)

Guess I didn't hit Done.

EWS page found.png

HP Recommended

@kibbitz

Thank you for posting back.

I appreciate your efforts to try and isolate the issue. If you still need additional technical assistance that can be better provided through one-on-one interaction or a remote session with our HP Support team.

I would request you to contact our Support and our Support Engineers should be able to sort this out. HP Support can be reached by clicking on the following link: www.hp.com/contacthp/

Please feel free to contact us here anytime you need any further assistance. Please click “Accept as Solution” if you feel my post solved your issue, it will help others find the solution.

ECHO_LAKE
I am an HP Employee

HP Recommended

echo_lake -

I can appreciate your redirection offer, but www.hp.com/contacthp/ leads to a circular hell of serial# and "product number" rejections before depositing me at the basic support query page - no hint of a "remote session" or "one-on-one interaction".

I'll have to accept deleting and then acquiring my printer EVERY TIME I need to use it until the 600 or so remaining cartridge page yields are exhausted - maybe in a few years given my printing needs of about one/day.  If you have a more comprehensive URL for "advanced" printer support, please let me know.

But there must be one HP b&w Laser all-in-one available at ANY PRICE that will not put me thru this nauseating drill each time I need to print.

(BTW - on a more positive note, I noticed in my configuration fulminations that my B&W laser printer All-in-One can, of course only print in greyscale, but it can SCAN in COLOR, a selling point offered NOWHERE in product descriptions, feature lists or manual instructions.)

HP Laserjet Pro MFP M29w

SERIAL NUMBER:  VNB3R41692

"Product" number:  NPI83D77E

HP Recommended

I still have to "delete" and then "reacquire" this printer whenever I want to print anything because the BOGUS low toner warning de-configures the printer.  (only 211 pages - should get 600-900 yield - see insert)

Bogus Low Toner.png

While I'm grateful for the flood of well intentioned suggestions since February, the problem remains unresolved.  And I still can't find that proffered "one-on-one" support interaction.

And I have to ask again if HP has an alternative All-In-One b&w laser printer at ANY price that they could sell me that would perform without having to reconfigure for each print job?

MacBook Pro

OSX 10.11.6

HP Laserjet Pro MFP M29w

HP Recommended

(prior message did not take the encl)

Guess I didn't hit Done.

Bogus Low Toner.png

HP Recommended

I tried comfy erasing this SSD the usage of GParted from a bootable flash pressure to no avail as you can check. One of the instructions reported that the pressure is frozen and the command to relaxed erase pronounced a few other difficulty why it couldnt do it.

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.