Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
If you're having print quality issues Click here for more tips!
Check some of the most frequent questions about Instant Ink: HP INSTANT INK, HP+ PLANS: INK AND TONER.

Check out our Black or Color Ink Not Printing, Other Print Quality Issues info about: Print quality and Cartridge Issues.
HP Recommended
HP OfficeJet 5212
Microsoft Windows 10 (64-bit)

Print doesn't appear to be printing black, however it does print gray.  I tried printing a document that had lots of black text and a table where the borders of the table were in gray, and it only printed the table.

Assumed it was a problem with the blank ink cartridge and replaced that.  When it printed the alignment page after replacing the cartridge it couldn't recognize the alignment page because the portions that are in black didn't print.  I've cleaned the heads, and tried all the tools.  No help.

Apparently, printer is out of warranty, even though it's not that old, so this is my only real option.

3 REPLIES 3
HP Recommended

@kecker, Welcome to the HP Support Community! I’m here to help.

I understand the printer is not printing in black. I appreciate your efforts in trying to resolve this issue by performing the necessary troubleshooting steps.

Make sure you have tried the steps mentioned in this document - Black or Color Ink Not Printing, Other Print Quality Issues

Clean the black ink cartridge up to 2 times and print a test page to check the result.

If you have already replaced the ink cartridge and the issue persists, I'm afraid the issue is with the printer. Please reach out to the HP Technical Support team in your region regarding the service/replacement options for your printer. 

You may create a case on the website to obtain a case number if required. Kindly watch this video to know how.

Keep me posted for any other assistance.

Please click “Accept as Solution” if you feel my post solved your issue, it will help others find the solution.

Click on the YES button to reply that the response was helpful and/or to say “Thank You”.

Have a great day! 

KUMAR0307
I am an HP Employee

HP Recommended

Ok I decided to give the cleaning cycle another try before uninstalling software. And now I'm starting to get something.  I got some smearing and some areas of faded black, which seems like it improved after subsequent cleanings but even after three cleanings I'm still getting it.  I tried the clean page smears option as well.  Still getting it.  What are my options at this point??

print_quality.jpg
See attached print quality page.  It's most obvious in the text at the end of step 4 and the beginning of step 7.

HP Recommended

@kecker

I understand the issue persists. As mentioned in my previous post "If you have already replaced the ink cartridge and the issue persists, I'm afraid the issue is with the printer. Please reach out to the HP Technical Support team in your region regarding the service/replacement options for your printer. 

You may create a case on the website to obtain a case number if required. Kindly watch this video to know how".

Keep me posted for any other assistance.

KUMAR0307
I am an HP Employee

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.