cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
    Information
    Know the Benefits of your HP account

Connect with HP support faster, manage all your devices in one place, view warranty information and more– Click Here

Information
    Fix Windows 10 Update Issues

Resolve Windows 10 or update issues on HP computer or printer– Click Here

• post a message
    Information
    Know the Benefits of your HP account

Connect with HP support faster, manage all your devices in one place, view warranty information and more– Click Here

Information
    Fix Windows 10 Update Issues

Resolve Windows 10 or update issues on HP computer or printer– Click Here

• post a message
Note for common printer problems
Customers receiving the"will damage your computer" message along with others like "unable to access cups/tmp" or "'@%' cannot be opened" need to update their version of the macOS. Please check this article for more information: "HPxxxxx.framework" will damage your computer" message in macOS Catalina or Mojave .
Highlighted
2 1 0 0
Message 1 of 4
Flag Post

Printer does not print black

HP Recommended
HP Deskjet 3520
Microsoft Windows 10 (32-bit)

No error messages, other colours OK

3 REPLIES 3
Highlighted
HP Support Agent
HP Support Agent
14,623 14,618 970 1,148
Message 2 of 4
Flag Post
HP Recommended

@chrisl290, Welcome to the HP Support Community!

Check ink levels, and then replace low or empty ink cartridges.

Clean the printhead automatically

1. On the printer control panel, press the Down Arrow  to select Settings, and then press OK.

2. Press the Down Arrow to select Tools, and then press OK.

3. Press the Down Arrow to select Clean Printhead, and then press OK.

The printer cleans the printhead, and then prints a test page.

Print a print quality report

1. Load plain, white paper into the paper tray.

2. On the printer control panel, press the Down Arrow  to select Settings, and then press OK.

3. Press the Down Arrow to select Tools, and then press OK.

4. Press the Down Arrow to select Print Quality Report, and then press OK.

If the issue persists, you may have to replace the black ink cartridge.

Hope this helps! Keep me posted. 

Please click “Accept as Solution” if you feel my post solved your issue, it will help others find the solution.

Click the “Kudos, Thumbs Up" on the bottom right to say “Thanks” for helping!

Have a great day! 

KUMAR0307
I am an HP Employee

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Author
2 1 0 0
Message 3 of 4
Flag Post
HP Recommended

I think you misunderstand. The HP Deskjet 3520 printer prints correctly with all 3 colours but not black. All standard printer testing shows completely blank as far as the black is concerned. I have tried multiple cartridges. It has worked fine for some years so I know how to install cartridges and set up the paper. The ink levels are fine. The black ink is not getting through and it appears it is blocked from doing so. Do I have to buy a new printer or is there an easy way to clear this suspected blockage?

0 Kudos
Highlighted
HP Support Agent
HP Support Agent
14,623 14,618 970 1,148
Message 4 of 4
Flag Post
HP Recommended

@chrisl290

I understand, and the steps I provided is to resolve black not printing issue. If you have tried the steps mentioned and the issue persists, I'm afraid this is a hardware failure with the printer as you have used alternate black ink cartridges. 

Please reach out to the HP Technical Support team in your region regarding the service options for your printer. 

You may create a case on the website to obtain a case number if required. Kindly watch this video to know how.

Keep me posted for any other assistance.

KUMAR0307
I am an HP Employee

0 Kudos
Warning Be alert for scammers posting fake support phone numbers and/or email addresses on the community. If you think you have received a fake HP Support message, please report it to us by clicking on "Flag Post".
† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the Terms of Use and Rules of Participation