Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
If you're having print quality issues Click here for more tips!
Check some of the most frequent questions about Instant Ink: HP INSTANT INK, HP+ PLANS: INK AND TONER.

Check out our Black or Color Ink Not Printing, Other Print Quality Issues info about: Print quality and Cartridge Issues.
HP Recommended
Officejet Pro 6970
Microsoft Windows 10 (64-bit)

I recently replaced my  Black XL cartridge with a regular sized HP black.  All other colours except blue are empty,  .,and I am unable to replace them at this time.  My printer won't photocopy, nor will it print anything in black.  Does my printer only accept XL cartridges? Why does this printer not recognize the black ink?  Am I going to have to replace this printer?

Thanks

1 REPLY 1
HP Recommended

@Millie24 

You might be able to get replacement cartridges from HP.

See:

HP OfficeJet Printers - 'Incompatible' or 'Defective Cartridge' message

This document applies only to these HP Officejet and Officejet Pro printers that use HP 910, 912, 914, 915, 902-905, or HP 935 ink cartridges:

• HP Officejet 6810, 6820, 6950, 6960, and 8010 printer series
  • HP OfficeJet Pro 6230, 6830, 6960, 6970, 8020, and 8030 printer series

Thank you for participating in the HP Community.

The Community is a separate wing of the HP website - We are not a business group of HP..

Our Community is comprised of volunteers - people who own and use HP devices.

Click Thumbs Up to say Thank You.

Question Resolved / Answered, Click "Accept as Solution" .

Dragon-Fur

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.