Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
If you're having print quality issues Click here for more tips!
Check some of the most frequent questions about Instant Ink: HP INSTANT INK, HP+ PLANS: INK AND TONER.

Check out our Black or Color Ink Not Printing, Other Print Quality Issues info about: Print quality and Cartridge Issues.
HP Recommended
DeskJet 2620
Microsoft Windows 10 (32-bit)

My HP printer is now only printing in black and white.  Last year,  the printer stopped working and after contacting HP by phone, they told me that a Microsoft update had interfered with the printer driver software.  They ended up installing a second printer driver named 'HP DJ 2600 series PCL-3' which allows me to print in colour and black & white.  Now, when I try to select this driver - as opposed to the standard driver  - named 'HP126D07(HP Deskjet 2600 series)'  the print fails and I am sent a message saying that it cannot contact the printer - even though the printer is switched on and it will print (only in black & white) if I select the HP126D07 driver...

The printer is connected to my PC by a wireless connection via the broadband router and I suspect that had I opted to use a printer cable, then I would have the full use of the  device (i.e. it would print in colour..!)  this appears to be recent problem since I was able to print in colour a few days ago.

I would be interested to have anyones idea as to how to fix this issue - the printer is out of warranty 

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
HP Recommended

Hi @StuartLord,

I'd like to help!

I understand you are unable to print in color.

Try the below suggestions-

Follow the below version of the HP Print and Scan Doctor Utility by selecting your printer:

http://ftp.hp.com/pub/printers/hppsdr/patches/HPPSdr.exe

Be sure to restart your PC and allow the utility to complete the process, then check for any difference. If the issue persists, proceed to the next step.

Install the printer using the TCP/IP port:

1. On the PC, go to Control panel > Devices and printers > Add a printer(at the top) 
  2. Under 'Choose a device or printer', click on 'The printer I want isn't listed'.
  3. Select 'Add a printer using a TCP/IP address'
  4. Find the IP address of the printer by tapping on the wireless/ethernet icon on the printer screen
  5. Type in the 'IP address in Hostname or IP address' box, click next
  6. Proceed to the next steps by following the on-screen instructions.
  7. Try printing in color.

If the issue persists, Install the printer using Windows built-in driver

Refer to this document to know how. Try printing.

Hope this helps! Keep me posted. 

And, Welcome to the HP Support Community. 

Please click “Accept as Solution” if you feel my post solved your issue, it will help others find the solution.

Click the “Kudos, Thumbs Up" on the bottom right to say “Thanks” for helping

View solution in original post

1 REPLY 1
HP Recommended

Hi @StuartLord,

I'd like to help!

I understand you are unable to print in color.

Try the below suggestions-

Follow the below version of the HP Print and Scan Doctor Utility by selecting your printer:

http://ftp.hp.com/pub/printers/hppsdr/patches/HPPSdr.exe

Be sure to restart your PC and allow the utility to complete the process, then check for any difference. If the issue persists, proceed to the next step.

Install the printer using the TCP/IP port:

1. On the PC, go to Control panel > Devices and printers > Add a printer(at the top) 
  2. Under 'Choose a device or printer', click on 'The printer I want isn't listed'.
  3. Select 'Add a printer using a TCP/IP address'
  4. Find the IP address of the printer by tapping on the wireless/ethernet icon on the printer screen
  5. Type in the 'IP address in Hostname or IP address' box, click next
  6. Proceed to the next steps by following the on-screen instructions.
  7. Try printing in color.

If the issue persists, Install the printer using Windows built-in driver

Refer to this document to know how. Try printing.

Hope this helps! Keep me posted. 

And, Welcome to the HP Support Community. 

Please click “Accept as Solution” if you feel my post solved your issue, it will help others find the solution.

Click the “Kudos, Thumbs Up" on the bottom right to say “Thanks” for helping

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.