Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
If you're having print quality issues Click here for more tips!
Check some of the most frequent questions about Instant Ink: HP INSTANT INK, HP+ PLANS: INK AND TONER.

Check out our Black or Color Ink Not Printing, Other Print Quality Issues info about: Print quality and Cartridge Issues.
HP Recommended
HP Deskjet 3700
Microsoft Windows 10 (64-bit)

I have used my printer very sparingly since I purchased it. I probably have printed less than 20  pages in total. The last time it was used (months ago), the print quality was fine.  When I printed today all I got was a blank page. I attempted to complete the print job multiple times. No error is reported. The downloaded diagnostic software from HP (HPPSdr) said it fixed some issues the first time it ran but subsequently says that everything checks out okay including the ink levels. The text on the diagnostic page that is printed is very dim, almost illegible as are the lines beneath the color bars. It indicates that the ink cartridges have plenty of ink. The software was used to clean and align the printheads. Still, it prints a blank page. Any ideas?

7 REPLIES 7
HP Recommended

@Liam_5x5, Welcome to the HP Support Community! I’m here to help.

I understand the printer is printing blank pages. As the printer was not used for months, the ink could have dried up.

Kindly perform the steps mentioned in this document - Color or Black Ink Not Printing

Check the ink levels and replace any low/empty ink cartridges. Clean the ink cartridges up to 2 times and print a test page to check the result.

You may insert one ink cartridge at a time and try printing to identify the defective ink cartridge.

Try making a standalone copy from the flatbed glass and check if that works. By this, we can conclude if this is a hardware or a driver issue.

Hope this helps! Keep me posted. 

Please click “Accept as Solution” if you feel my post solved your issue, it will help others find the solution.

Click on the YES button to reply that the response was helpful and/or to say “Thank You”.

Have a great day! 

KUMAR0307
I am an HP Employee

HP Recommended

I have the same problem. I have replaced the black cartridge. I get a blank page for any all black print in a document. This applies both to printed and scanned items. The other colours seem to work normally

HP Recommended

@Perdix48

Did you try the steps mentioned in my previous post?

Keep me posted.

KUMAR0307
I am an HP Employee

HP Recommended

Yes but to no avail. The printer was working perfectly until Wednesday and suddenly would not print anything black from yesterday. I was aware the ink levels were fairly low so replaced all cartridges. This did not solve the problem. I have tried cleaning the print heads programme and looking at the diagnostic page ( although this did not help as the text is in black which would not print). I also tried head alignment. 
Interestingly because I needed a document I took a screen shot and printed it as a photograph where black did appear, although that may not have come from the black cartridge.

I have a Deskjet 3520 and have tried to print using AirPrint from an iPhone, an iPad and a Mac all with the same result ( no black).

Any ideas would be welcome.

HP Recommended

@Perdix48

I appreciate your efforts in trying to resolve this issue by performing the necessary troubleshooting steps.

If you have already replaced the black ink cartridge(used 2 different black ink cartridges) and it still doesn't work, I'm afraid the issue is with the printer. Please reach out to the HP Technical Support team in your region regarding the service/replacement options for your printer. 

You may create a case on the website to obtain a case number if required. Kindly watch this video to know how.

Keep me posted for any other assistance.

KUMAR0307
I am an HP Employee

HP Recommended

Thank you for your response. I met online with a support representative who determined that a printer replacement was in order. A replacement printer is currently en route.

Thanks again.

HP Recommended

@Liam_5x5

Glad to know that you will be receiving a replacement soon. Keep me posted for any other assistance.

KUMAR0307
I am an HP Employee

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.