Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
If you're having print quality issues Click here for more tips!
Check some of the most frequent questions about Instant Ink: HP INSTANT INK, HP+ PLANS: INK AND TONER.

Check out our Black or Color Ink Not Printing, Other Print Quality Issues info about: Print quality and Cartridge Issues.
HP Recommended
HP Color LaserJet Pro MFP M479fdw
macOS 11.0 Big Sur

Hello! 

We have a HP Color LaserJet Pro MFP M479fdw that we bought last January. We are having an issue with the ink cartridges and am wondering if our situation is typical or unusual and should get extra help. We already spoke with a HP technician. 

The printer uses 4 cartridges, black, cyan, magenta, and yellow. Since we use the printer primarily for black and white prints, we adjusted the default setting to print in B/W  and select color only when necessary.

Seven months later, as of today, our Black cartridge is half full, cyan and magenta 1/4 full, and yellow is almost empty. We didn’t notice the levels until I started getting warnings that the yellow cartridge was nearly empty. This was strange to us because we had been using B/W nearly all the time. At best, we could think of only 2 or 3 occasions when we printed in color and that was 1 or 2 pages long.

We talked to the HP technician who told us “…the printer would still use all the colors to make a black color.” Which makes no sense, since there is a separate B/W cartridge in the printer. 

To replace the yellow cartridge it would cost $109.00, and we hardly used it.  Is this a normal process for this HP printer? Or is there something wrong with the printer? 

Amy
5 REPLIES 5
HP Recommended

From the front panel in the reports menu print supplies status page and usage page scan and post here.

All 4 toners are used, every time the printer is turned ON to calibrate, or during the print process for cleaning and calibration.

My profile on LinkedIn

HP Recommended

Here's a screenshot of the supply status. Does it calibrate only when after printer is turned off then on, or every time it wakes up before it starts a print job? Our printing jobs is more like once a week rather than daily (our jobs are primarily virtual). We never turn off the printer unless it needs to be reset, which isn't often.  What about scanning jobs? When I scan to my desktop, I generally create PDFs. Does it use ink, anyway?

Screen Shot 2021-07-22 at 8.14.03 AM.png

HP Recommended

There was a good reason why I asked both the supplies status page and usage page.

My profile on LinkedIn

HP Recommended

I am sorry if I am being dense here, but what is the "good reason?"

HP Recommended

The usage page reports exactly how many colour pager printer have printed, how many b&w pages printed, how many copies, scans and information about the printer usage.

My profile on LinkedIn

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.