Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
If you're having print quality issues Click here for more tips!
Check some of the most frequent questions about Instant Ink: HP INSTANT INK, HP+ PLANS: INK AND TONER.

Check out our Black or Color Ink Not Printing, Other Print Quality Issues info about: Print quality and Cartridge Issues.
HP Recommended

Can you help. I click on the link "Contact hp" but it is the home page of HP. I go to support and contact us and there is no real help there either. I need to change the country from UK to US to be able to use the US 902 ink cartridges - the 903 sold in the UK do not seem to exist in the US.

11 REPLIES 11
HP Recommended

Go to the Contact HP page, then enter the information for your printerAt this point it will likely say "Manufacturer's warranty has expired"  To the right of this it will say "See details".  Click the "See details" link, which will open another page with more details.  Near the bottom of the text will be a paragraph that says : 

HP has checked your product information, including the product and serial numbers, to determine your warranty results.The legal warranty expiration date is based on the date of purchase, as indicated on your receipt. If you feel these results are incorrect, you may submit a dispute for review. Dispute this 

Click on the "Dispute this" link which will ask for some additional contact information.  Fill out the contact information, then in the bottom section select: 

Dispute reason  

Issue with my Accessories, Supplies and/or Software. 

In the comment section indicate that you need a "regionalization reset".

If for some reason this is not successful please post back here with some details - what printer model? What operating system

Bob Headrick,  HP Expert

I am not an employee of HP, I am a volunteer posting here on my own time.

If your problem is solved please click the "Accept as Solution" button 

If my answer was helpful please click "Yes" to the "Was this post helpful" question.

HP Recommended

Hello!

Many thanks for your kind reply.

I have followed your instructions but I get the reply: 

We're sorry

HP Customer Support site is temporarily unavailable.

We apologize for any inconvenience. Please check back later.

I have an OfficeJet Pro 6960 and am using Mac OS 12.5

At this point I am not sure what to do and my printer is not usable (of course I can use the scan function).

HP Recommended

I will ask to have your case escalated.  I would expect an HP Support agent would respond in the post here and then send you a private message with information on how to proceed with the regionalization reset.  You will likely need to have a complete set of cartridges from the original region (OK if low on ink) to perform the reset.  After the reset you will need a set of cartridges from the new region, the original cartridges will no longer work.

Bob Headrick,  HP Expert

If my answer was helpful please click "Yes" to the "Was this post helpful" question.

HP Recommended

Many thanks!

It came as a complete surprise to me that printers had regions. I do not know how this works, but I did try to fit the 902 cartridges in (they do not fit) and not sure how a regionalization reset will make them fit, but I am hopeful.

Many thanks again for taking time to respond - and so quickly.

HP Recommended

What is the nature of not fitting?  I would expect the changes between regions are all within the electronics on the cartridge.  Did you purchase 902 or 902XL cartridges (I would expect either would fit).  Are the cartridges HP or third party?

There were some changes to the HP 902 series cartridges. Make sure your cartridges have a warranty expiration date of May 2021 or later.  You will likely need genuine HP cartridges for the reset.

Could you take a picture of the issue and post in here?

Bob Headrick,  HP Expert

HP Recommended

I bought genuine 902 printer cartridges from a retail store (Staples). They did not fit in the sense that the printer would not accept them.  I will likely buy new 902 cartridges so hopefully they will be post May 2021.

HP Recommended

When you mentioned the cartridges would not fit I was assuming you meant they did not physically fit as if the cartridge design was different.  The cartridges you have will likely be fine after the printer region is reset.  It is expected that 902 cartridges would not work in the printer that originally used 903 cartridges. 

You can check the warranty date on the cartridge as shown in the document here.  I would expect any cartridges bought recently to have a warranty expiration date of 2023 or later.  You should not need to buy new cartridges unless the cartridge expiration dates are April 2021 or earlier.  This would be very surprising for cartridges bought recently.  You can check the warranty date as shown below, it is printed on the cartridge.

HP 902, 903, 904, 905, 906XL, 907XL, 908XL, and 909XL cartridges: if the cartridge has been removed from the packaging, look for the Warranty Ends date on the top of the cartridge.

warranty.png

Bob Headrick,  HP Expert

HP Recommended

Thanks. i will await an HP person to contact me to proceed with the region reset.

HP Recommended

Hello! I realize you are not with HP, but I have heard nothing from HP about the region reset. Can you help? Thanks again.

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.