Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
If you're having print quality issues Click here for more tips!
Check some of the most frequent questions about Instant Ink: HP INSTANT INK, HP+ PLANS: INK AND TONER.

Check out our Black or Color Ink Not Printing, Other Print Quality Issues info about: Print quality and Cartridge Issues.
HP Recommended

I have replaced the printhead and it is still giving the same error. The ink is not pumping from the cartridges into the printhead reservoirs. Could the long ribbon cables cause this? What else could it be?

13 REPLIES 13
HP Recommended

Hi @StratGuitarist,

I'd like to help!

May I have the exact model name of the product? Refer to this document for steps to find the product details. Do not share any of your personal information such as serial, phone number, email ID, etc.

Keep me posted. 

And, Welcome to the HP Support Community. 

Please click “Accept as Solution” if you feel my post solved your issue, it will help others find the solution.

Click the “Kudos, Thumbs Up" on the bottom right to say “Thanks” for helping

HP Recommended

Whoever moved this case should have copied all of the info. Here is my original post. It has the model number in it.

I've owned an Officejet 7612 printer for 3-4 years and have only printed a few hundred sheets. It normally sits idle on my wired network. Yesterday, I noticed the printer was unresponsive, so I power-cycled it. While booting, the LCD displayed the infamous "missing or failed printhead" error. The printer won't let me view the animation or go to the main LCD screen, but will let me remotely access it via IP address and scan documents. I have done the following without success:

1. Updated the firmware

2. Disassembled the printhead and cleaned/sanded the pc board contacts. I also dipped the springs in acetone, then sanded them to ensure no carbon/ink buildup.

3. Hard reset the printer

4. Moved the rear rocker bar for the vacuum tubes up/down.

Outside of bad ribbon cables, it looks like the printhead assembly may have developed a hardware failure. Seems odd with such low usage. Has anyone else experienced a random failure of the printhead assembly? What have I missed?

---------------------------------------------

12/4/20

I replaced the printhead and it is doing the same thing. Ink in not pumping into the printhead ink reservoirs. Is it the cables? That is the only thing I haven't replaced.

HP Recommended

As this is a hardware issue, I’d recommend you contact HP Phone Support in your region regarding service options for your printer.

Follow the instructions below to reach them:

1) Click on this link - https://support.hp.com/us-en/contact-hp

2) Select your product type below.

3) Enter the serial of your device. 

4) Select the country from the drop-down. 

5) Select the chat or get phone number options based on your preferences. 

6)Fill the web-form and proceed further.

If you are having trouble navigating through the above options, it's most likely because the device is out of warranty. If yes? please send me a private message with the region you are contacting us from. Check next to your profile name, you should see a little blue envelope, please click on it.  

Have a great day! 

HP Recommended

As you are aware, the printer is out of warranty, so I'm not sure why I would call HP support. I'm going to replace the printhead ribbon cables, then throw it in the trash if not fixed. It is unfortunate, however, that I only got a few hundred 11x17 prints before the printer died from non-use.

HP Recommended

I referred to the phone supports so the team can help you with service options.

But, I would like to inform you that the cables are not replaceable.

Hope that helps!

HP Recommended

Yes they are. Some disassembly required...

HP Recommended

I respect your decision.

If you need further assistance feel free to reach out to us.

Have a great day ahead!

Please click “Accepted Solution” on my public post if you feel my post solved your issue, it will help others find the solution. Click the “Kudos/Thumbs Up" on the bottom right to say “Thanks” for helping!

HP Recommended

I changed the ribbon cables and still have the same error. One observation I'd like to discuss:

On power-up, the original printhead errors right away (ink system failure), but the replacement printhead works for a few minutes, but ultimately fails during the printer system check. I can hear the printer try to fill the ink reservoirs a few times, but very little ink actually transfers from the cartridges into their printhead reservoirs.

Questions:

1. What is the purpose of the two air tubes on the back of the printhead? 

2. I've changed the printhead and cables. What else could cause a system ink failure?

HP Recommended

If the ink pipes are filled with air then the ink will not follow through and if the cartridge does not go to the docking station to lock into place when turned off the printhead tends to dry off and this could cause printhead issues.

If the issue persists after replacing all the different parts, I'd recommend you think about upgrade options.

You may reach out to HP Store or HP Phone Support team 

Hope this helps!

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.