Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
If you're having print quality issues Click here for more tips!
Check some of the most frequent questions about Instant Ink: HP INSTANT INK, HP+ PLANS: INK AND TONER.

Check out our Black or Color Ink Not Printing, Other Print Quality Issues info about: Print quality and Cartridge Issues.
HP Recommended
Color LaserJet Pro MFP M281fdw

My printer just had a firmware update pushed to it, and now suddenly it won't recognize the three aftermarket toner cartridges that I've been using without issue for the past 6 months or so.

The specific error message I'm getting is "Supply Problem" (no other code is given).

It shows a picture of four jars of ink: black, cyan, magenta, and yellow.

The three color jars have a question mark over them, but the black one does not.

The black toner cartridge I'm using is an official HP cartridge. The three color cartridges I'm using are aftermarket.

I've been printing, scanning, and copying with no problem until just now when the update was complete.

I have already done a hard restart of my printer (remove toner, unplug, wait a bit, plug back in, etc.) with no change.

41 REPLIES 41
HP Recommended

Mine just did the exact same thing.  I can't figure out how to fix it.  Very frustrating since this printer that has been working great is now inoperable unless I purchase the more expensive HP toner cartridges.

HP Recommended

I got exactly the same problem. Got the "Supply Problem" message an no error code, showing a picture of four jars of ink: black, cyan, magenta, and yellow. The problem started after the latest firmware was updated

Performed all troubleshooting: Restarted my printer, removed toners, unplug, wait a bit, plug back in, with no change

I do not what to do. An urgent help is needed

HP Recommended

Did anyone get a response from HP?

Has anyone got a fix for this issue? 

I have installed genuine cartridges, but I still have the Supply Problem error

HP Recommended

I haven't seen any responses from HP yet.  That is not good at all if the genuine HP cartridges didn't fix the problem!  I hope they can solve this quickly.  

HP Recommended

Figured out how to fix this if others have not yet.  

1.  On your printer go to Setup, Service, Laserjet Updates, and then Manage Updates.  

2.  Click on "Allow firmware downgrade" and select "Yes".

3.  Click on "Check automatically" and select "Off".

4.  Click on "Allow Updates" and select "No".

5.  Go to the web and search for "HP Laserjet M281 Firmware downgrade".  You should find several sites that will allow you to download the 20200612 firmware update which was the previous one to the latest firmware upgrade that caused the problems.

6.  Make sure your printer is connected by USB cable to your computer that you downloaded the firmware.  I tried over Wifi and Ethernet and it didn't work.

7.    Double click on the downloaded firmware file to open it.  When your printer is on and in a ready state, select the printer to update from the drop down menu.  Then click "Send Firmware".  It will then show a progress bar with a smiley face at the end when done.

8.  Your printer should then go into a programming mode and upload the firmware downgrade.  After it does this, it should fix the problem!  Mine ended up doing the programming a couple cycles so I finally unhooked my usb cable.  Perhaps trying to unhook the usb cable after it completes programming.  

9.  The supply error should go away and your printer should work now.  You can check the firmware date to verify by going to Setup/Service/Firmwaredate.  Should now say 20200612

HP Recommended

Followed all the steps, but when I get to step 8 the printer never goes into "programming mode".  Any suggestions?

HP Recommended

Not sure.  Did you have your printer connected to your computer via a usb cable?  Didn't work for me if I tried over wifi or ethernet connection. 

HP Recommended

Yes. USB connected. 

HP Recommended
† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.