Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
If you're having print quality issues Click here for more tips!
Check some of the most frequent questions about Instant Ink: HP INSTANT INK, HP+ PLANS: INK AND TONER.

Check out our Black or Color Ink Not Printing, Other Print Quality Issues info about: Print quality and Cartridge Issues.
HP Recommended
OfficeJet Pro 8715
Microsoft Windows 10 (64-bit)

I purchased my new HP OfficeJet Pro 8715 not too long ago and my ink nk cartridges were working fine with a second set ready to go.  All was fine and there was a bit of ink left.  This morning I get the "The indicated cartridges are not communicating properly" error message- for every cartridge-  and did all the things it said.  I reseated the existing cartridges that worked fine for months and weren't empty yet; I put in the new HP cartridges I had on deck, I cleaned the contacts on the new cartridges, I turned on/off the printer and removed power for 60+ seconds, then rebooted; I checked the firmware and there was one released April 5, 2021 (today)...and tried to update that but was told the update was already installed (auto update on the printer).  So, I thought, "I will reset the printer to factory settings to see if this error is due to the new firmware upgrade auto-installed".  However, HP, in its infinite wisdom, does NOT allow the printer to be resent to factory settings because there is a "Job" pending.  There isn't a "Job" just the error message about the cartridges not communicating properly.  So, I remove the cartridges to see if I could factory reset- nope, the fact that there are no cartridges is also a "job" and the printer will not allow itself to be factory reset.  Is there anyway to factory reset, back out this firmware?  At this point my next option is to buy a new, non-HP, printer that his  hopefully more user, error handling friendly. 

1 REPLY 1
HP Recommended

Hi @KLD1,

I'd like to help!

Are you using HP Genuine ink cartridges or 3rd party ink cartridges?

Keep me posted. 

And, Welcome to the HP Support Community. 

Please click “Accept as Solution” if you feel my post solved your issue, it will help others find the solution.

Click the “Kudos, Thumbs Up" on the bottom right to say “Thanks” for helping

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.