Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
If you're having print quality issues Click here for more tips!
Check some of the most frequent questions about Instant Ink: HP INSTANT INK, HP+ PLANS: INK AND TONER.

Check out our Black or Color Ink Not Printing, Other Print Quality Issues info about: Print quality and Cartridge Issues.
HP Recommended
HP 902 color cartridge

The shortage/lack of HP 902 color ink from HP or even generic brands is unbelievably frustrating.  I have been trying for months to get color for my 6960 officejet printer.  If I wanted to print in black only, I would have bought a simpler printer. In delving this issue, I notice that HP seems to be sweeping the problem under the rug and not communicating with the customers regarding this issue. Everyone affected by this should get a new comparable replacement printer for free. 

12 REPLIES 12
HP Recommended

@macnmac, Welcome to the HP Support Community!

I understand your concern. Please reach out to the HP Technical Support team in your region regarding the replacement options for the ink cartridge or to check its availability. 

You may create a case on the website to obtain a case number if required. Kindly watch this video to know how.

Also, check if the printer/ink cartridges are eligible for a replacement. Refer to -  'Incompatible' or 'Defective Cartridge' message

Hope this helps! Keep me posted. 

Please click “Accept as Solution” if you feel my post solved your issue, it will help others find the solution.

Click the “Kudos, Thumbs Up" on the bottom right to say “Thanks” for helping!

Have a great day! 

KUMAR0307
I am an HP Employee

HP Recommended

Unless you are saying that the issues have been resolved and cartridges are readily available,...This answer does not address the actual issue. It is a fact that 902 color cartridges are not available. 

HP Recommended

@macnmac

I have sent you a private message with additional information required to assist you better. Kindly check the same, this might help you to resolve this issue. Check next to your profile name, you should see a little blue envelope, please click on it.  

Keep me posted.

KUMAR0307
I am an HP Employee

HP Recommended

The problem with supplies shortages affect most printer companies right now, the result of slow production due to lockdowns to higher than expected usage of smaller home printers as people work from home. We are currently facing months with no product to sell. A lawsuit would likely fail because of the affect this has had on most business. As for 3rd party,  that is completely beyond HP's control.

If you find the information provided useful or solves your problems, help other users find the solution easier by giving kudos and marking my post as an accepted solution.
I am a volunteer, offering my knowledge to support fellow users, I do not work for HP nor speak for HP.

HP Recommended

While it is true that there are shortages going on right now, that has nothing to do with 902 ink being out of stock everywhere for months. A class action lawsuit was filed months ago about this. You can do a Google search and see a couple articles along with a few threads that have pages and pages of responses about this. Not only is 902 ink affected; there is a large list of HP inkjet printers that use various ink types that are affected by this. HP didn't disclose that they used significant amounts of color for black and white prints, nor did they tell us that the printers would not print at all if only one cartridge ran out. Yellow and Cyan have been recalled from everywhere, and months later, HP has yet to acknowledge what they have done. On top of that, if you try to use generic compatible cartridges, a recent firmware update disabled that ability. Others who were able to get their hands on some HP ink have reported that they either don't work, or permanently damage their printer. They have rendered these printers useless and we have dozens being used at our company. This is so far beyond unacceptable and we are never going with HP products again. It's bad enough that this issue is even happening at all, but HP support is terrible and there is no info from them about this. Any attempt to contact them will result in a lengthy frustrating phone call that goes nowhere, or a generic reply: "we will have ink in stock soon, please be patient. due to shipping restrictions we are experiencing delays." These claims are complete bogus. Good riddance HP, there are many better options out there, and they actually provide decent customer support.

HP Recommended

@Macnmac I would be interested to know if HP support was actually able to help you with this if/when you replied to their private message. With so many of us asking the same question, I wonder why the secrecy of a PM. Why not just post the solution for everyone to see. 

Thanks,

Lisa

HP Recommended

I have not gotten a satisfactory from HP. They keep telling me to return my defective cartridge, however, the last ones I had worked and need to be replaced. I could not find replacements anywhere except magenta. Luckily, I don't need color very often, but when I do, it's frustrating. 

HP Recommended

I never received a private message. The cartridges are still no longer available. This is very frustrating.

HP Recommended

I'm glad to see these posts, to know it isn't just me.  After searching in several office supply stores, I told my wife "there's got to be a supply-end problem from HP."  I also found an occasional magenta cartridge, but no cyan or yellow.  I also wasn't aware of the printer's inability to operate if only lacking a single cartridge's supply.  My yellow is pretty short now, so that's good to know.  I'm not interested in lawsuits, but as an HP customer, I definitely expect more honesty and transparency from them.  Just tell us what the problem is, and give us some concrete expectations about when these color cartridges will actually be available.  Don't give us "soon."

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.