Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
If you're having print quality issues Click here for more tips!
Check some of the most frequent questions about Instant Ink: HP INSTANT INK, HP+ PLANS: INK AND TONER.

Check out our Black or Color Ink Not Printing, Other Print Quality Issues info about: Print quality and Cartridge Issues.
HP Recommended

Yes, HP needs to be accountable for the situation. I just bought my HP printer in summer and now can't get the 902XL cartridges. What are they doing to remedy and how am I supposed to print? I can't even get the computer to print in black.

HP Recommended

I got tired of waiting around for who knows how long until (or even if) HP will give us an update. We have dozens of these printers out in the field at our company and people who have run out of ink are getting angry and impatient when I keep having to tell them there is an issue finding ink. My next option was to go find a different printer (and brand) to order in bulk and then I'd have to assist all of these not so technically skilled users to setup and connect to their printers. What a hassle and time eater that would be. I knew there was generic/compatible ink available out there, and laser printer toner generics have never given me an issue. Unfortunately, I have run into many issues in the past using generic inkjet cartridges, and have always been hesitant to try them, but I was desperate. In a last-ditch effort I placed an order of a couple different popular brands from Amazon. When they arrived, I tested them in my printer and to my surprise the three different brands all worked. I then placed a massive order from the brand that appeared to be the best quality. As each user needs ink from me, I give them a pack after I test it in my printer to verify it is working. So far, I have tested a few and none of them had an issue. I was expecting more hit or miss from these and am still expecting an occasionally issue, but this is the only acceptable alternative solution at the moment. Plus, they have good support and return/refund policy. Not to mention the cost is 1/3 of what the OEM cartridges cost! For anyone else who can't wait for HP to get their act together, I'd at least give this a try. If anyone is wondering which cartridges I tried, they are on Amazon. Probably not allowed to drop names here so I'll mention that the top two I went with have 442 and 375 ratings as of today (1/8/21). Look for the happy “water” drop (5-pack) or blue geometric triangle patterns/dolphin (4-pack). They have older versions of these cartridges available, so be sure to get the ones that are "updated to be used with the latest chip/firmware." Good luck to anyone who is struggling with this ordeal as much as I have been, but hopefully will not be not anymore. Our next round of printers will not be from HP, and I will NEVER buy OEM ink for any of our HP printers again. They should realize that treating their customers this way, may cause a loss of income on their main source (ink), once people are forced to use the compatible brands and find out that they work and are so much cheaper.

HP Recommended

Thank you for the suggestion. I will definitely check it out.

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.