Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
If you're having print quality issues Click here for more tips!
Check some of the most frequent questions about Instant Ink: HP INSTANT INK, HP+ PLANS: INK AND TONER.

Check out our Black or Color Ink Not Printing, Other Print Quality Issues info about: Print quality and Cartridge Issues.
HP Recommended
Dell
Microsoft Windows 11

I've had this printer for years and have had relatively few problems, with cartridges at least. This past week we moved into a new house, and after a few days of being here I finally got the printer setup on the new network using the desktop app. Once it was done and online, the printer had a screen on it's LCD display that I had never seen indicating that some of my cartridges were being blocked because they do not have an HP chip, I suppose.

I have read the marketing about protecting the customer experience... and HP's control, but I've been perfectly happy with the cartridges and they have a great deal of useful life yet. I have to assume that HP is not expecting customers to throw away hundreds of dollars of good cartridges to just replace them with hundreds of dollars of good cartridges.

How do I keep using the cartridges I have purchased and have been happily using in my machine?

Thank you,

Jason

4 REPLIES 4
HP Recommended

They should be sued for this.  My kids accepted an update, and now I can not print. Brother printers get much better reviews and do not have this issue.  I have multiple toner cartridges which are not useless.  Btw, the 3rd party toner cartridges print slightly better than the geniuine HP cartridges at < 1/3 of the cost

Looking forward to the lawsuits!

HP Recommended

exact same, accepted an update and got forced to spend money.

I spent just under $400 this afternoon. It’ll the last of my money HP gets. I’m throwing the new HP cartridges in the trash along with the printer and finding a different solution.

what a shame.

HP Recommended

Brother has actually just introoduced this rubbish to theirs too. But it's a constant war and this battle can be won.  Keep trawling youtube, there's a fix there. 

The tip is to use usb inste20211204_144423.jpgad of wifi to downgrade the firmware:

HP Recommended

The tip is to use usb instead of wifi to downgrade the firmware: www.youtube.com/watch?v=BSfI8j7JmRQ&ab_channel=CyberCPUTech  . can't put it in as a link cos it will be blocked

20211204_144423.jpg

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.