Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
If you're having print quality issues Click here for more tips!
Check some of the most frequent questions about Instant Ink: HP INSTANT INK, HP+ PLANS: INK AND TONER.

Check out our Black or Color Ink Not Printing, Other Print Quality Issues info about: Print quality and Cartridge Issues.
HP Recommended
HP Officejet 6958

I bought some non-HP Ink cartridges off of Amazon because I could not afford to get HP branded ones, and I put them in the printer, but I immediately began to have issues. An error screen came up and said that certain cartridges needed to be replaced due to an error. Interestingly, even though they all came in the same pack, I had no issues with the Cyan ink cartridge, it said that that one was working just fine. The printer had off-brand ink cartridges on it before, why am I now getting this problem> I am a college student and really need this thing back up and running, but no matter what I do, nothing changes. I even tried cleaning the contact points on the cartridges and the printer head, but that did nothing... What can I do? Please help!

2 REPLIES 2
HP Recommended

@gntutara55 

Hello,

Your HP OfficeJet 6958 printer has dynamic security. It only applies to ink cartridges equipped with an authentic HP electronic circuit. Ink cartridges with modified or non-HP electronic circuits may not work, and those that are currently operating may not work in the future.
For more information, go to Printers with dynamic security.

If you wish, you can purchase an HP Instant Ink plan , so you can use your printer with authentic HP cartridges. The price of the package is based only on the number of pages printed and not on the number of ink cartridges received by the service.

Don't hesitate to contact us in case of need.

Best regards,:Wink:

I'm not an HP employee. Did this message answer your question? Include it below as an Accept As Solution! Did you find this message useful?  Click on the thumbs up set to give a Compliment! Follow us on Facebook Assistance customers HP.

HP Recommended

That's what I thought, but the odd thing is that it thinks one of the ink cartridges is an HP brand even though it isn't and all the other cartridges of the same brand are locked out...

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.